Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and sleep

Default BF and sleep

okay my 4 mos old is ready to sleep more at night....like 5-6hr spurts...man I love it BUT my boobs hate it....

we go to bed and then I wake up and look at the clock my breast are full and ready to feed I look at LO and he is SOUND asleep I count the hours and know that it will be just a few min before he is ready so I wait in agony until he wakes up and then feed him....

my question is how do you transition for these longer sleep periods....should I set my alarm to wake up to pump in between? I am just looking for some ideas on what works for you??

we wait all this time to get more sleep and now I don't know how to handle it!
    PS I have to pump for work so the extra milk will be great for my supply...

thanks for any ideas!
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

Default Re: BF and sleep

There are 3 ways to deal with nighttime engorgement when the baby starts sleeping longer periods:
    1. Tough it out- eventually your body will get the message and start making less during the hours when your baby is sleeping.
    2. Express just enough for comfort. Your supply will decrease at a slightly slower pace than if you go with option 1.
    3. Wake up and pump. Your supply will not decrease, you'll get lots of extra milk for your freezer stash, but you'll lose out on sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: BF and sleep

maybe I will alternate between option 2 and 3....

I want to stash some but get relief also -
    thanks
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom