Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Breastmilk???

Default Bad Breastmilk???

So today i gave my 6 months old a rice cereal with my frozen BM(he had it before i just switched brands form Gerber to Earth Best) after that he took a nap and after he got up he was cranky his face was white and he had blue lips, he looked sick 30 min after he fall a sleep on the couch next to my DH.
    After he got up i picked him up and he started trowing up a lot and also he pooped, he refused to nurse i think he got sick from the BM that i mixed with rice cereal.
    The date on the bag was 10/30 so that makes 3 months and a day(i have a lot of bags and trying to used them).
    So now my question is should i trow away the rest of the bags that are around the same date?? Did the BM go bad??
    Please help i dont want him to get sick again

Default Re: Bad Breastmilk???

Have you had problems with him having reactions to something in your milk before? 3 months is not too old in the freezer, you can safely store breastmilk for 6 months to a year.
    Has he had the rice cereal before? If it was the first time trying that or the new brand I'd be looking at the cereal as the culprit (does it have a recall? does it have something he reacts to in it like dairy?)

If the milk was bad enough to make you sick there's no way he would have drank it, it would be VERY foul smelling and you'd most likely notice it while mixing it up.

Definitely don't throw out your milk, it's still got plenty of life while you figure it out.

He was always fine with my milk he never trow up like today, he had a rice cereal before but gerber brand and today i gave him first time earth's best cereal. I tought that in the regural freezer you can storage up to 3 moths?

Regular freezer it's up to 6 months, as long as it's not on the door or right in front. In a deep-freeze you can go 12mo. I'd suspect the cereal, too - bad BM is REALLY stinky. (Someone brought some to a meeting to ask, & after the leader said it was bad, we had a smell-fest .)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Can a leader chime in? I was always told (by my leader) that it was 3months in the fridge freeze and 6months outside most in a deep freeze. Did that change recently?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    Regular freezer it's up to 6 months, as long as it's not on the door or right in front. In a deep-freeze you can go 12mo. I'd suspect the cereal, too - bad BM is REALLY stinky. (Someone brought some to a meeting to ask, & after the leader said it was bad, we had a smell-fest .)

I second this. If your BM is bad, it will smell sour. It happened to some of mine when I had it in the freezer. Not all of them, just a few. It can knock your socks off
    I would think that maybe it is the cereal, especially if he's never had a problem with your frozen BM before.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011

Hello! Here are the newest guidelines for storing milk.

Generally, a baby won't drink breastmilk that has gone bad or sour. It may have been just a coincidence or baby had a reaction to the cereal... wheat? It sure is tough when baby throws up and isn't feeling well, though!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thanks a lot for the info but should i trow the cereal out or give it another try?

Are you sure there's no chance that your lo would have picked up a stomach bug from somewhere? If he's had rice cereal before and now you just switched brands (especially to organic), I would be so surprised if it was the cereal. And it definitely sounds like it's not the bm. I have used some up to 5-6 mo. in the freezer and it was fine. If he hadn't had rice cereal before, then I would think it would be the cereal. Have you called your ped. to check in??

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Smile Re: Bad Breastmilk???

I think if he would have a stomach bug he would be trowing up a lot an he did just once like something didn't sitt right in his belly. I didn't call the ped. because right after that he was fine. I think i will give one more try with the same cereal..
    Thanks a lot!