Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I guess we've officially entered the world of extended nursing...

Default Re: I guess we've officially entered the world of extended nursing...

My son was born July 22nd! I am also wanting to start supplementing with organic whole cow's milk during the day. My son had been extremely sensitive to dairy in my diet so I'm going REALLY slow. I have introduced cheese, yogurt, so far as well as adding milk products back into my diet. My supply drops with my cycles now and I'd like to try the cow's milk for supplementing him during the day.

Does anyone else with babies close to the same age have a goal of doing cow's milk during the day, BF at nighttime? I guess this is sort of my "goal" for my son. Does this seem reasonable? I am a SAHM, but would like to enjoy a little more freedom with my son, since he has never nursed in public and has already sort of started to drop nursing during the day excluding his nap. He seems so busy during the day he doesn't want to sit down to nurse.

Hi ethansmommy,
    It sounds like your son may already be heading toward the pattern you are talking about, maybe? Some older nursers develop the pattern on their own of asking to nurse mostly during sleepy times (nap & bed) and times of stress or when they get sick or hurt, but otherwise they go about their day as any busy toddler would.
    If you have noticed dairy sensitivies already, there are other sources of calcium besides cow's milk you might consider.
    Mary

Congratulations! We will be joining you in the world of extended nursing on Sunday!!! DS is on solids twice a day and nurses about 3 times a day...he shows no sign of giving up and I'm glad! When people ask when I plan to wean, I tell them to ask Jackson and then say he won't be going to kindergarten nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by crosswalk3
    My ds is 8 mo, but it's really encouraging to see moms ahead of me so I can stay motivated! Does your ds eat solids?
    Yes, Fletcher started cereal at 6 months, and we have very slowly introduced other solids. He does take some organic whole milk at meals and a cup when he gets up in the morning. He still nurses very frequently during the day, usually for very short feedings through. We co-sleep, and he nurses *a lot* during the night.

Congrats to all the nursing pairs who are at or near the one year milestone!
    Erica
    Fletcher...August 20, 2005
    Welcoming #2 in July 2008

"There is no failure, only feedback."

YAY, mommy! Great job! Happy b-day Fletcher!

You are a wonderful mom, and welcome aboard!