Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby has a cold and to stopped up to nurse!

Default Baby has a cold and to stopped up to nurse!

My 6 month old daughter has a cold and her nose is very stopped up. I have tried everything! Vapor bath, baby vapor rub, saline drops, vicks vaporizer, used the bulb to suck all that junk out, everything! I know it will pass but this is the 2nd day that she hasnt nursed well. I am making sure she isnt dehidrated and so far so good. She is waking up every hour during the night and will try to nurse but cant breath so she cries herself to sleep.

Is there any moms who has any tips or has been there? I just hate that she is going through this. I feel helpless
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Default Re: Baby has a cold and to stopped up to nurse!

My doc ok'd Little Noses Decongestant drops. She said just ONE drop in each nostril. I tried to avoid using any meds like this but when he was that congested these drops worked. Also we got the shower soothers and would sit on our toilet next to the shower and breath in the vapors. When she sleeps put her at an incline too.

I hope she feels better soon
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

have you tried the saline drops about 2 minutes before you nurse her? that sometimes helps D
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Squirt breastmilk up her nose. It works wonders!!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*henrys.mama View Post
    Squirt breastmilk up her nose. It works wonders!!
    Yep. DO this. Squirt Breast milk up there. It's THE PERFECT quick fix. It works almost instantly and doesn't last long. But usually long enough for baby to eat.
    Also any time your child gets a cut or scratches herself, a little Breastmilk on it will clear it up in a day or two.
    HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Ugh... sorry to hear your baby isn't feeling well. Hope baby feels better soon. Bf'ing not only comforts, but mom also passes the exact immunities that baby needs to help fight it off (since you probably have the same virus right now, too). Breastmilk is still considered the best/perfect food for baby since it is so easily digestable and has the perfect antibodies to help fight baby's illness... Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hugs to you, too!

Sometimes, a baby can have a difficult time breathing through their nose because of congestion... and, since baby's only breath out of their nose, mom may need to help by keeping in baby upright while breastfeeding, nursing in a bathroom with the warm shower (producing a steam room effect), offer short, frequent feedings, etc.

Yep, saline drops (or plain breastmilk drops is perfect, if there isn't any thrush going around, etc.) works great and is convenient. The steam & breastmilk in baby's nose will help clear the passages so baby can nurse easier (since some babies generally still can't breath through their mouth while nursing).

Some move the humidifier/vaporizer closer to the bed at night, too. Keeping their head on mom's arm at night (if you cosleep), or just upright, to keep baby elevated, so gravity can help out, may be helpful.

Just in case, you can easily make your own saline... Pinch of salt (no more than one-quarter teaspoon) in an eight-ounce glass of warm tap water.

How are baby's wet/poopy diaper count? Of course, you may want to check with your ped if your mommy voice tells you it might be something other than a cold virus. Teething can sometimes congest babies, too.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Just wanted to give you a because we just went through a VERY bad cold (with ear infection and lung infection). We're all better now, but the nursing was tough. I had to hand express b/c my lo would skip nursing sessions altogether. i hope she feels better soon. It took about 10 days, but we pulled through~ you will too.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Lots of good advice already, but wanted to add that I would lie my DD flat on her back, tilt her head down a few degrees then put the saline drops in and hold her there for a few seconds (they are usually not very cooperative for this), but that helps the saline break up the junk a bit, then suction, then nurse asap.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Lots of great advice, just wanted to send you & Hope your LO is better soon! It's so hard when they feel bad; one feels so helpless because one wants to fix it right away. But your LO is so lucky to be BF, because it will make everything easier!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!!!

Breastmilk is amazing! Like Carla said, I was also carring the virus. I guess I had the antibodies to fight the cold in my milk because she was better by morning ! Of course the tables turned I have a terrible cold!!!
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year