Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: latching problems

Default Re: latching problems

Diana,
    Sorry to hear things are so frustrating for you! But you are right, they do get better!

Could you please explain to us what makes you think you have a low milk supply? Describe some symptoms of you and/or your baby? This would be helpful for us! Thanks,

What makes me think that I may have low milk supply or something else for that matter is that when I begin to feed Elaina she starts gulping and swallowing right away but seems to be finished really quickly (5 minutes). I'll change her to the other side and the same thing. She'll stop swallowing after about 5 minutes and comfort suck as long as I'll let her (usually quite a long time) She will hardly ever remove herself from my breast and as soon as she wakes up (even if she only sleeps for 30 minutes), she's hungry again. My breasts will feel full before she sucks and then very empty afterwards (really soft and squishy) so I know she is eating but it doesn't seem like she's eating enough. If I press on my breast before, milk will shoot out but after (or an hour later) nothing will happen. She seems to be hungry quite soon after she feeds (sometimes as soon as a half hour) and when I put her back on, I don't think anything is coming out. She seems to be hungry most of the day and I worry that because she has jaundice, she may not be eating enough. Lately, she has been nursing so often that my boobs are getting really sore again and I have had to ask my husband to feed her formula (yuck!) from a bottle during the night and she'll gobble up 2 ounces easily (in 30 minutes). If I try to pump after feeding, I may get a quarter of an ounce (if I'm lucky) from both boobs. So, I don't know if all this is the norm for breastfeeding an 11 day old but I feel like she would eat a lot more if I had the milk but this is all new to me so I don't know. What do you all think?

Thanks
    Diana

Diana- I'm glad that feedings are going better! I remember having trouble the firs 4-8 weeks and then one day I realized that we were doing well and didn't even realize when the switch occured! In regards to low milk supply, remember to take care of yourself as well. Try and eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water. I wasn't drinking enough water to keep myself and milk replenished. If you have an electric pump(or hand pump) you could try it once a day to get extra stimulation- increase demand, increase supply. I work part time and found my supply decreasing so I would make it a poin to pump at the same time everyday give or take an hour. It really helped get us through his growth spurts! Hope everything continues to go well! Lesley

Moms with trouble latching,

I totally sympathize! I had terrible pain with my ds and quit after 1 month (terrible pain, bleeding, horrible sores!). With my dd i had much difficulty latching as well, started having terrible pain but with much luck & switching lactation consultants it made a huge difference.

My second lact. cons. taught me the "super latch" which has saved mine & several other bf moms sanity. I use the cross-cradle position - you have to be really careful about that when they are small. Next, i held my right nipple in my right hand, cupping it in a "U" shape well back behind the nipple. I compress my finger & thumb together creating a "nipple sandwich" (don't hurt yourself, but make it smooshed enough to fit in the mouth). When they are ready, i guide their mouth with my left hand holding their neck/head. When they have a hugely opened mouth, I "shove" their mouth into my nipple sandwich. I put the babies mouth onto the nipple and try to aim the nipple in the top back portion of their mouth rather than straight on. Be sure that they have all/most of the nipple in their mouth. You may have to hold this position for a while and/or throughout the whole feeding (again, don't compress so hard that you hurt your nipple) until they are old enough to keep themselves latched on well.

Many babies get so worked up wanting to nurse that they have a tough time controlling themselves enough to calmly latch on. I had to have someone hold my dd's arm/hand out of the way because she always wanted to put that in her mouth. Also, be sure that you nipple is soft enough to get them latched on far enough. My sis had this difficulty and didn't realize it at first, pumping a bit before helped a lot in the beginning weeks.

You will find that as your baby gets older things really do improve!

Diana congrats on your dd! Things will def get better with time. Ok here is the deal;

pumping is not an accurate gage of how much milk you are giving to your baby, no matter how hard the pump company tries they can not reproduce the babies suck, they are so much more efficient then the pump, so that is good news!

Also, babies take the breast for many reasons, and yes one of them is to comfort suck, if you feel that she is sucking more than she needs to, maybe you could try to sooth her another way, such as a swing, sling, baby seat, being swaddled tightly etc...

That is a good sign that that your breast are soft when your dd is finished nursing, that means that she is nursing efficiently

I would also be careful with a bottle or paci if you are having latch problems, babies suck on a bottle very differently than they suck on you The bottle gives instant results when dd drinks from that which means when she comes back to the breast she will want those fast results again, and also she will be sucking on you like you are an article nipple

Have you tried any lanolin? That was a lifesaver for me.
    I know that you are having a tough time and I do remember those first weeks, I was so weepy and just really wanted things to go well, i hope that these suggestions were helpful? Best of luck!

In addition something else that should encourage you is that the soft breast makes milk at a faster rate than the hard breast, so that is ok when they are soft..

Hi girls! I am so sorry to hear about the pain you are all going through! If you have worked with a lactation consultant, then you probably have already heard this but if not, then I'll put my 2 cents in since this really worked for me- Instead of directly putting my nipple into my baby's mouth when it was opened, my lactation consultant showed me to lightly touch my baby's nose with my nipple. This would cause her to open her mouth wide and search for it and she actually latched on perfectly! My son was a pro but my daughter was a little difficult at first and I did get the cracked, raw nipples (I remember crying when it came time to breastfeed because I knew how painful it was going to be!!).
    For some reason my daughter did not have the rooting reflex so rubbing against her cheek was of no help for me. But the nose trick really worked and hopefully it may for you too! Hang in there and I commend you all for continuing to breastfeed despite the hurdle!

Brittan, thanks for chiming in. I did not get back to this thread the past few days and feel I have left Diana hanging. I apologize Diana!

What it sounds like to me is that dd is doing exactly what she should be doing to establish your supply. At her young age of two weeks she should be nuring a LOT! And she is. I know this is small consolation to you, but take heart. It does change. But right now, she should spend a lot of time at the breast. It is good practice for her, it helps your supply, and she loves it! You are all she has known her whole life and she is comforted by having you close. Don't worry...it is not a sign of low milk supply when she nurses frequently (ok, all the time! ). It is actually a sign that she knows exactly what she needs to do to make milk. We usually suggest it takes 4-6 weeks to establish milk supply. So, hang in there!

Frequent nursing should not make your nipples sore. I would be very cautious that you have a good latch every time. You know this because you have seen a good LC. But don't forget that!

How are diapers? Lots of wet? Yellow poopy ones? How often?

Keep your chin up! You are doing great!

Unhappy Re: latching problems

RE: Latching Problems
    I have a two month old daughter and in the beginnig she had problems latching on to. What i found that worked best to get her to open her mouth wide was rubbing my nipple on either the side of her mouth or her nose then when she opened wide i quickly put my nipple in her mouth. Your dd just has to learn to breast feed, it will only get better and easier in due time.

I finally went to another Lactation Consultant and found out the problem with my breastfeeding problems. She found that when she put her finger in my ds mouth that he gagged right away. He was pressing his tongue against my nipple and reshapping it in his mouth. Therefore, my nipples were killing me. So now I have to reteach him how to suck. She has me using a nipple shield for about 3 days and working with my finger in his mouth and pressing down on his tongue. My nipples are now getting better, but I am concerned that I will not be able to reteach him. I am just a little pesimistic that we will be able to be pain free without the nipple shield. I guess I was jsut wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The LC said my latch was good, and that wasn't the problem. I will take any advice I can get. It also seems as though my breasts are getting a little more engorged than normal before I feed him. He is draining them with the shield, so is he just eating more efficiently and therefore I am filling up more? That may not make sense, but just thought I would ask.