Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really need advice!

Question Really need advice!

My 2 month old never took to breast feeding he would always fall asleep and i couldn't even leave my bed because he was ALWAYS eating so i started to pump. I pump him every bottle to feed to himwhich is working out he's alot happier he sleeps better i get to move around the house and he's gaining weight. My problem is i don't know what i can do to produce more milk! I drink 2 bottles of water or more a day every 4 hours i pump 4 oz. Is that a good amount or is there a way to make more!

So confused! Please help

Default Re: Really need advice!

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Sounds like you are doing well. I EP and in the beginning when my son was young, I pumped every 2 hours during the day, and I woke up once or twice a night to pump. It was a lot of work, but that helped me build up a supply, and then by the time my son was about 2 months I cut down to 6 sessions a day, and I didn't get up at night anymore. Do you have help from your husband or someone else so that you could try pumping more often for a couple weeks and see if that increases your supply?

Also, you can try eating oatmeal every day, or maybe even seeing a lactation consultant for advice on using fenugreek or other methods to increase supply.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

EP'ing is very very difficult. Generally production is lower than BF'ing, and a lot of different things can affect your supply. Are you planning on trying to BF again or you are just going to pump? How many times a day do you pump?

4oz a session is actually pretty good output. Here are some other tips about pumping.

When you say two bottles of water, how many ounces are you talking? Like 32, 64? I drink about 90 - 100 oz a day. it is more than is normally "recommended" but through trial and error, I think that is where I need to be.

There are also a lot of good tips here. But first and foremost frequency is going to be your best bet.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    EP'ing is very very difficult. Generally production is lower than BF'ing
    Over time, breastfeeding becomes much easier and faster, with a baby getting all he needs in 5-10 minutes at the breast. Pumping never gets easier or faster: if it takes you 20 minutes to fill a bottle now, it's going to take you 20 minutes a year from now, and you're going to have to fit that 20 minutes (plus all the washing, and the storing/warming/transporting of milk) into your demanding job of taking care of a mobile baby. If you can get your baby back on the breast, you will never have to listen to your child cry because his food and comfort will always be immediately available, at the right temperature, and clean. Breastfeeding straight from the tap regulates your supply much better than pumping does, so when your baby starts sleeping long periods at night, you can too.

If you want to keep on exclusively pumping, the best things you can do to increase your supply are to pump more frequently, and to use a very good pump. If you're pumping every 4 hours, try pumping every 2. The more frequently you remove milk, the more milk will be made, because your body gets the message that there is a lot of demand. You can also try power pumping: pump 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10, and finally pump 10 minutes one last time for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in a 1-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts his mom's supply during a growth spurt.

HTH, good luck!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"