Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help with Weaning and Pediasure Advice

Default Need Help with Weaning and Pediasure Advice

My DD is 12 months old and I'm starting the weaning process. Last year christmas before she was born, my mom gave us a cruise as a gift and offered to watch my 3 children while DH and I went on the 3 day cruise in March. It sounded great then, I figured she would turn a year in January and I'd hopefully have her weaned by the cruise is what I thought. Well here we are with the cruise 5 weeks away. I'm having mixed feelings about weaning because I'm not sure if she's quite ready, but I feel like there's no other way because I'm leaving for 3 days. I don't know why I thought I could wean her so quickly ( my 1st DD nursed until 14mon and my DS self-weaned at 12mon). She is down to about 3 feedings a day morning,afternoon and night. and isn't really showing a interest in cow's milk. Is there a easier way to get her to like cows milk. Also she was always a big baby (22lbs at 6mon)and when she started crawling and becoming active her weight stayed the same. At her 1 yr check up today the Dr. was concerned because she had not gained any weight since her last check up and she had even dropped a pound( she's 21lbs). The Dr. seems to think she's not getting enough calories, and wants me to give her pediasure. I'm kinda skeptical about this. What should I do. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Default Re: Need Help with Weaning and Pediasure Advice

I think that if you're not ready to wean you don't have to. She will probably do OK with you being gone for 3 days, especially with her being over a year old. Maybe you could pump and store some milk for her to have while you're away?

As for pediasure, I'd stick with breastmilk myself. It has better nutrition and is much better for her than pediasure.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I think that if you're not ready to wean you don't have to. She will probably do OK with you being gone for 3 days, especially with her being over a year old. Maybe you could pump and store some milk for her to have while you're away?

As for pediasure, I'd stick with breastmilk myself. It has better nutrition and is much better for her than pediasure.
    I agree with Paige... if you and your LO are not ready to wean yet, you don't have to. If you're willing to pump a few times a day while you're on the cruise, you can keep up your supply and continue nursing when you get back. And your LO doesn't have to be drinking cow's milk either. As long as she is eating a good balanced diet of solid foods, and nursing a few times a day (or drinking some of your pumped milk) no cow's milk is really necessary.

Also just wanted to tell you... I am in a similar boat as you... This coming week I will be taking my first work trip away from my LO, and she is not weaned yet. I am leaving on Tuesday and returning on Friday, and I plan to resume nursing when I get back. While on my trip I plan to pump twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening, as this corresponds to approximately how many times per day she is nursing. My LO is 16 months old, and does drink a little cow's milk at daycare, but not that much, and we nurse 2-3 times per day.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

3 day trip I bet she would pick up right where she left off with nursing.
    You can hand express if you don't feal like taking pump.

Good luck!

I don't have any advice on the pediasure/weaning, but I do agree that you can probably just pick up where you left off when you return and still be able to nurse when you get back.

However, I would be very concerned about your daughter's lose of weight. Not that 21 lbs at a year is too small, but that she did not gain any weight at all from six month of age to a year, actually losing a lb??? I would personally want them to look at other reasons other than just recommend you put your lo on pediasure.

Does anyone else think that is alarming, or is it just me?

Three day trip - no need to wean. I went away for 3 days when my little one was 2ish and she started right back up.

I WOULD be concerned about the weight loss. I had similar problems with my lo, turns out she's gluten intolerant. I thought there was no way because she had NONE of the symptoms described on the internet other than weight loss. None. But we eventually got her tested. She's been gluten free for 2 1/2 years now (she's 4) and completely healthy.

Pediasure sounds like an insane solution...

I'm with the rest. No need to wean if you don't want to. A child over one will pcik up and your body won't stop making milk in three days.
    I really chimed in to say you have a BEAUTIFUL Family.

I would never use pediasure. My son started daycare at 14months and he had no interest in cow's milk. He drank water and ate solids while away from me and we breastfed while together.
    And EBF children grow the way they are supposed to. If your baby leaned out once she got moving, then that's what is supposed to happen to her! Don't let your Pedi scare you!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks everyone for all your input, I'm gonna continue to bf until she's ready to be weaned, and I'm not going to use the pediasure, it seems like a bunch of junk anyway. I think her weight is going to be fine she probably had a low weight that day because her nursing sessions have decreased a little and she has been super active learning to walk as well. We have a weight check in a couple weeks so if the Dr. thinks there is still a concern I'll try to just increase her calorie intake with other foods instead of pediasure. Thanks again guys!!!!

I just wanted to add, that I went through the lack of weight gain thing with my dd at about the same age. My doctor wanted me to give cow's milk instead of my bm. I did give her yougurt almost once a day, but didn't change anything else. Next weight check was better and the doctor assumed it was becuase I started cow's milk. I was happy to tell her otherwise
    Nancy
    Mom to Jessie Kate 3 years, Emily 11 years, Megan 14 years, and Nicholas 16 years

Due 7/28/10