Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating much at daycare

Default Not eating much at daycare

My 3 1/2 month old daughter, Lily, is exclusively breastfed. I work 4 days a week and pump diligently; we are separated for about 11 hours 3 of those days. I send 4-4oz bottles to her daycare, but often have one left. Of those bottles, she rarely finishes any of them and often leaves 1-2 ounces. When I come home, she nurses every hour until bed time and wakes about 2 times during the night. I love nursing her at night and don't mind doing it that often since it allows me to reconnect with her, but I want to make sure she is getting all the nourishment she needs. She has plenty of wet diapers during the day, and a poop at least once a day (this has been the norm since she was 6 weeks). She was gaining 1/2 lb every week until for 8 weeks, but when I gradually started back to work, she only gained 12 ozs. in a 4 week period. The pediatrician told me she should be taking 6 ozs at a feeding (we can't even get her to finish 4 ozs!)

Lily is my first child, so I am new at this, but is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Default Re: Not eating much at daycare

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/reversecycling.htm

sounds like she might be reverse cycling many babies do this when their moms go back to work.

Hi,

Your baby sounds perfectly fine and healthy to me. My DS is separated from me about the same amount of time, but 5 days a week, and what you described is about how much and how often he would eat when he was 4 months old. He usually came closer to finishing his four-oz bottles but that doesn't seem like a big difference to me.

It sounds to me like you are doing fine. It is normal for babies' weight gain to slow down after the first couple of months. My DS only gained 1 1/2 pounds in the two months between his 4 month check-up and his 6-month check-up, and our doctor was not concerned.

6 oz of breastmilk at one time is a lot--too much, in my opinion. I don't think you need to worry about that. You are doing great!!

i agree with the pp...i think your baby is doing fine. my 3 month old dd can typically finish 4 4oz bottles of EBM in the 10 hours that i'm away from her...sometimes she can only finish 2oz of the last bottle...and 6oz does seem like a lot!

i also agree with andrea_ohio...sounds like reverse cycling to me. as long as she slowly gaining weight and has plenty of wet diapers, i think you and baby are doing just fine!

HTH!

Thanks for all of your input. I read the link about reverse-cycling and found it very helpful. I'll just keep up what I am doing.

My almost 8 mo only eats 4 oz a feeding and still eats at night. His dr is more concerned about the wieght gain, wet/poopy diapers, and developement. I agree that your baby is reverse cycling. Keep in mind some people like to snack rather than eat big meals. Noting the every hour at home I would also say she might just be keeping her metabolsim up that way