Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need of encouragement

Default In need of encouragement

It's been a while since I posted and things are going from bad to worse. We got through the Christmas period and visits with a slight increase in formula. Then Eleanor's routine just went to pieces and so she was waking through the night and in the end we ended up co-sleeping and she was pretty much latched for the night with side to side swapping at regular intervals. That meant that I stopped pumping sessions at night and so any supplement during the day became formula. She seemed to need more and more supplement too so that she went back up from 3oz formula/day to around 10oz! This week I got a stomach bug and lost a lot of fluid...it's taking a while to get back to normal and my milk is just completely decimated. I can't keep up keeping tabs on how much formula she's getting as I'm just too tired. I'm still using SNS but my breasts are sooo sore and itchy as I think I have a reaction to the tape and formula. Also on some occasions she does just sleep through so I go far too long without feeding / pumping as I'm just out of the habit now. I just need some encouragement to go through the whole increasing supply procedure. We're also just about to hit 6 months and so I have solids to consider and I'm just wondering whether I can keep everything going. I do so love BFing and I don't want it to end yet!
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Default Re: In need of encouragement

They are itchy on the outside or inside? Could you have surface thrush? I always had it inside, and then I got it on the outside...I had no clue what it was!

You can do it mama...lots of
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I wondered about thrush but the symptoms didn't seem to fit . The itchiness is most intense on the surface where I tape the sns tubing. Then my areolae are blotchy and dry too...they just look nasty but feel ok. I figured the itching was due to the tape adhesive and the blotches due to the formula.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

You can do it Mama.

You will never regret persevering for your DD. I know it must be daunting, but you've done it before, and once you're all recovered from being sick, and you're rehydrated, it'll be easier to rebuild your supply. Sending plentiful milk vibes your way
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63