Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk comes out too fast

Default milk comes out too fast

in general, I tend to have an over supply. If I pump in between, it just goes out of whack and I end up with colicky babies, a freezer full of milk and mastitus!

I rec'd excellent advice about massaging the ducts, feeding on one side only initially and not pumping too muich, so I am able to keep the supply from going crazy, and only had a small bout of colic this time around.

BUT, one size is definately more over active than the other. If I get even remotedly engorged, the milk pours out and will continue to squirt for as long as 30 seconds after baby has broken the latch.

Result is, baby take a suck then pulls off, takes a suck, then pulls off and so on, making me sore. There isn't even enough time for me to get my finger in there to break the latch properly.

Any advice?

Default Re: milk comes out too fast

can you unlatch baby and spray the milk into a burp pad and then re-latch baby? I had to do this as I too had overactive letdown and oversupply (OALD/OS)

Here is some more into about OALD - http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet