Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solution to the frustration?

Question Solution to the frustration?

Hello everyone - I'm new, so I hope that someone will be able to help me. My son is now nearly 5 weeks old and so far BF has gone OK. However, over the last few nights he has been screaming in pain (due we think to wind, but it comes out the bottom end (eventually) not the top) and I still don't think I have the latch right. He was a very big baby and seems to latch on and suck OK, but he loses suction at the end of each suck / draw, with the result that he takes in a bit of air and I'm getting increasingly sore and bruised! I have tried all sorts of positions for him and me and don't seem to have made any improvements at all - HELP!

Default Re: Solution to the frustration?

I found I was still playing with DS' latch until he was about 8 weeks. Actually even at 3 months at which time he basically starting sucking on himself.

Are you supporting your breast while you feed? Have you got a good nursing pillow? Do you feel he's letting go because the milk's coming too fast? Anything like this? How are your nipples?

We can get this figured out!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Hey Mama!!

Yes, I'd get a nice firm nursing pillow. I have a boppy...works great. Also, I'd make sure he burps everytime he feeds. My baby was really super gassy, and eventually it went away. It may be something you are eating too, think of what you've had in the past 24 hrs....cut it out, and see if he's better.

Good luck Mama!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Smile Re: Solution to the frustration?

Might I recommend also calling a local leader in your area? Also when Annabella was 4 weeks I went to a local meeting and was able to get some good advice and hands on help, for a new mom this is a good idea! They can also help you with latch issues~when you need a quick answer on the phone help is nice! Do you know how to look one up in your area??
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Thanks Guys - sorry it took so long to acknowledge your support. I use a normal cushion as a nursing pillow to support him; are you suggesting that a firmer one would be more appropriate? I will certainly try and get some help and also I have tried cutting things out of my diet (dairy and citrus so far - may have had a mild beneficial effect!). I think most of the problem is that I drown him and he's so greedy he won't admit it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toms.mum View Post
    Thanks Guys - sorry it took so long to acknowledge your support. I use a normal cushion as a nursing pillow to support him; are you suggesting that a firmer one would be more appropriate? I will certainly try and get some help and also I have tried cutting things out of my diet (dairy and citrus so far - may have had a mild beneficial effect!). I think most of the problem is that I drown him and he's so greedy he won't admit it!
    If you feel your cushion is working for you, then I'd say stick with that. If however you feel your baby is sliding around etc., then I'd recommend getting a myBreastFriend nursing pillow. It literally saved breastfeeding for us. It is very firm and you strap it to your waist so its not going anywhere. It made focussing on the latch easier for us. There are other nursing pillows that other mothers swear by, but for us, this was the best one.

Having said that, if you have oversupply and/or overactive let-down, this could be the key to your problems. If he's latching on and off because the milk is coming too fast for him, its just him being smart and adapting. Imagine drinking from a garden hose. It could also cause him to be more gassy. Let us know if you think oversupply/OALD is an issue and we can go from there.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.