Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help...on demand feeding?

Default Help...on demand feeding?

Hi,
    I am new to this site, but was hoping you ladies can give me some advice. My daughter will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and at her 2 wk checkup (well, it was 2 wks, 3 days) she has more than regained her birth weight. I know they say you can let her sleep as long as she wants at night before her next feeding, but what about the daytime? I am trying the on demand feedings throughout the day, but once she's down for her nap/sleep (which usually is about 1.5-2 hours after the beginning of the feeding between feeding about 20 mins each breast, changing her once or twice, and rocking her to sleep), she'll sleep for a good 2 or so hours (3.5-4 hours after the beginning of the last feeding). Is that too long between feedings?!?! I am worried she will not be getting enough milk AND my breasts are starting to get really full. I also want to make sure the supply is still there and am worried about waiting too long between feedings will decrease my supply. Sorry for the rambling, but I hope this makes sense.
    TIA!!

Default Re: Help...on demand feeding?

Don't worry, she'll eat when she is hungry. Your supply should start to even out soon so you shouldn't feel so full when she naps. As long as she is having 6-8 wet/1-2 poopy diapers a day(24 hours) then she is getting enough to eat. I say let that baby sleep and take a nap yourself cause it won't last

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Something else you can also do is to "top her off" before a nap....nurse her on the side you left off with from feeding her before. That way she'll be nice and full for her nap and you won't be uncomfortable!

We nurse UP and DOWN here. Up in the morning and down for nap, up from nap and down for next nap, etc...

Oh and
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I'm having the opposite problem where my 6 wk old can barely go two hours between feeding diring the daytime hours... she is gaining well, 6 lb 11 to 9lb 13 in her first 6 weeks, but always is rooting, and is difficult to pacify with a pacifier to hold her off.. i want to follow her cues, but am desperate for a break.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momtoclarke View Post
    I'm having the opposite problem where my 6 wk old can barely go two hours between feeding diring the daytime hours... she is gaining well, 6 lb 11 to 9lb 13 in her first 6 weeks, but always is rooting, and is difficult to pacify with a pacifier to hold her off.. i want to follow her cues, but am desperate for a break.
    6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt

here is some info about frequent feedings and growth spurts
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet