Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting baby to take the occasional bottle?

Default getting baby to take the occasional bottle?

Nursing has gone very well for us this time around (it didn't with first baby; we quit by 5-6 mos). So welll in fact, I haven't really been giving him bottles, since I really don't like pumping.

Now, I accidentally discovered he doesn't really want bottles anymore (didn't mind for 6 weeks), only me. He's also stopped taking the pacifier altogether, which doesn't really bother me, just FYI.

I am now forcing him to take a bottle every night, so I won't be chained to breastfeeding for the next year. I would like to be able to go out occasionally!

Baby will be three months Sat. Am I doing the right thing, or should I be doing something else/ or more?

Thanks!

Default Re: getting baby to take the occasional bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scrapwithshelby View Post
    Nursing has gone very well for us this time around (it didn't with first baby; we quit by 5-6 mos). So welll in fact, I haven't really been giving him bottles, since I really don't like pumping.

Now, I accidentally discovered he doesn't really want bottles anymore (didn't mind for 6 weeks), only me. He's also stopped taking the pacifier altogether, which doesn't really bother me, just FYI.

I am now forcing him to take a bottle every night, so I won't be chained to breastfeeding for the next year. I would like to be able to go out occasionally!

Baby will be three months Sat. Am I doing the right thing, or should I be doing something else/ or more?

Thanks!
    Sometimes it takes a while to find a bottle/nipple that your lo likes. Have you tried a few different kinds or have you just been working with one? You should make sure that you are using a slow flow nipple so baby doesn't get used to the faster flow from the bottle and become frustrated at the breast.

Be happy that your lo gave up the pacifier on their own. That can be a hard one to wean from.

Who is trying to give your baby the bottle? DD won't have anything to do with a bottle if I am around or am the one trying to give it to her. Maybe you could try someone else giving your baby the bottle while you step out for a minute.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Hi, there.

Sounds like you're frustrated. Another alternative you might consider is a spoon or cup... A little messy, but doable. You might also try running the nipple of the bottle under some warm water before offering it to baby. I've even heard of a momma laying baby down on a pillow (on her lap)... like a nursing pillow, etc.... and putting the bottle under mom's arm with the nipple pointing outward (almost like mom's) towards baby. Sometimes, baby being in that usual nursing position can help. Other times, making the position entirely different... like sitting up... can be helpful. Of course, having another person give the bottle is great, too, if possible.

I'm curious, why do you feel you'll be "chained" to breastfeeding? Many mothers find that nursing is very helpful to calm tantrums, help baby feel better when they're learning to walk, or just easier to keep up with more than one child. Of course, the AAP recommends nursing for a year and then for as long as both mother and child mutually agree upon. If for some reason you begin to resent breastfeeding as you all get closer to the one year point, then you most certainly can wean. We'll support you for as long as you want to breastfeed... whether it be one day, week, month or year.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

No, I don't resent breast feeding (didn't mean for that to come out so negative), but the bottom line is, if I am the only one who can feed the baby, it's a problem. Just last week I was sick and had to take a medication that wasn't BF friendly - thank goodness for pumped milk from the freezer. (Maybe that's why? Because he went a whole day on the bottle?)

Also, I want to GO OUT...have a night to myself here and there, maybe a date with DH too would be nice. If I can't leave a bottle with grandmom, we can't go. I've been out on my own once in the last 4 months and am going a little stir crazy!

Thanks for the advice. I've noticed the closer I am to a nursing position, the more he fights the bottle. That side by side thing is his favorite - he loves to cuddle like that in the morning (we co-sleep from 5 am to 8 am).

Thanks for the advice though. DH says he takes it better when I am not around so I am up here on the computer. Still I would like to correct this more. Even my 3 and 5 year old like to give him the occasional bottle! LOL

My LO would not take the bottle from me until she was about 5 months. She took it ok from DH as long as I wasn't around. If I was on the other end of the couch she would turn her head/push the bottle away and just stare at me. Silly baby! Dr Brown's bottles worked the best for us.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Have you tried the Breastflow bottles? I've heard some moms say its the only bottle their LO will take.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.