Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerned about how much my baby is drinking

Exclamation Concerned about how much my baby is drinking

I just recently posted about my 7 mo old's nursing strike due to ear infection and illness. I'm concerned because while she is nursing more frequently, she still doesn't seem to be nursing as long or getting as much milk. I was home with her yesterday, but am back to work today.

Typically, she'll nurse at 7:30 a.m. before we leave for work, have a 6 oz. bottle at 11:30, and a 3 oz. bottle in the afternoon (somtimes more) and then I come at 3:30ish to nurse her again. So, total, she'll have 9-12 oz. at daycare.

Well, this morning she only wanted 3 oz. in her first bottle. I haven't heard about this afternoon, yet.

Am I overly concerned?

I know she's not dehydrated, but she had lost a few oz. due to illness and hasn't been nursing well, and has been extra sleepy.

Is the 3 oz. bottle a red flag??

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Concerned about how much my baby is drinking

With the illness I wouldn't be too concerned about a few days of taking less food. Everyone takes a little less when they are sick.
    3oz is still within the range of normal too. My kid never took more than 4oz in a bottle, ever.
    She's probably filling herself to the brim with the 6oz so not surprising that she's not up to that when she feels kind icky.
    Watch her for dehydration, not the oz. Keep an eye on diapers and good luck!

Default Re: Concerned about how much my baby is drinking

That makes me feel better. She usually only takes 3 oz. in her afternoon bottle and then waits for me to come and nurse her. Plus, she ate ALL NIGHT last night - so she probably just wasn't hungry. Thanks

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!