Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LLL Leaders - Please Explain Quantity! :-)

Question LLL Leaders - Please Explain Quantity! :-)

Hello Ladies,

In an older post of mine (I can't find it now), it was explaining how our milk quantity wasn't going to go up in later months (i.e. once solids are started).

I was wondering if someone could explain this further? Is it that the nutrients become more condensed in later months? And that's why we don't need the bigger quantities? Is it safe to say that we don't have to match the quantity of formula that a baby would be given at the same age? I can't see me ever producing 9 - 10 oz in one feeding.

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: LLL Leaders - Please Explain Quantity! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Hello Ladies,

In an older post of mine (I can't find it now), it was explaining how our milk quantity wasn't going to go up in later months (i.e. once solids are started).

I was wondering if someone could explain this further? Is it that the nutrients become more condensed in later months? And that's why we don't need the bigger quantities? Is it safe to say that we don't have to match the quantity of formula that a baby would be given at the same age? I can't see me ever producing 9 - 10 oz in one feeding.

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it.
    Hi, there.

Yep, these are great questions! Nature works in such awesome ways... always very interesting to read about things like this, too.

Basically, the older a baby becomes, the more concentrated a mother's milk becomes with proteins, nutrients, etc. to fulfill all of a toddler's growing needs. I guess Mother Nature figured out they would nurse for less amount of time too... with all those new things to see and do and for survival purposes when mom gathered food/etc... so, it makes sense, too, hu? Here's a good article about this idea...

Also, something else to consider is that generally most babies will take more from a bottle than from the breast, especialy because the liquid in a bottle is all condensed into one... and breastmilk from the breast changes from foremilk to hindmilk... all in one feeding. Plus, since breastmilk is digested so much more easily and quickly, a breastfed baby may have a few more feedings in the day than the longer-digested, formula fed baby. Daily breastfeeding patterns will also change from baby to baby... and since every baby is so unique, a baby's breastfeeding pattern can change from day to day and vary as he grows.

So, no, breastfed babies don't need as much as their formula fed peers.

Hope this helps some...
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thanks!! Off to read....
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Thanks for the great info!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I always thought it was because

a) baby's weight gain slows way down in the 2nd half of the year +
    b) solids add extra calories??

Never talked to someone about how much formula they gave their baby, though.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    I always thought it was because

a) baby's weight gain slows way down in the 2nd half of the year +
    b) solids add extra calories??

Never talked to someone about how much formula they gave their baby, though.

Yes, this also factors in... It's all relative. The first poster has a small baby, so it didn't enter my mind to mention this. Good eye!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; January 29th, 2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: clairfy
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thanks for sharing. I was a little unsure of how it all worked too. I was trying to explain in to DH and was having a hard time.

Great info and great questions.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!