Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to warm refridgerated breast milk?

Default how to warm refridgerated breast milk?

Hello all -- I am new to this site, and hope I can find the help I need.

I have been getting conflicting viewpoints from Day 1 concerning many things, one being on how to warm up refrigerated breast milk. I've been told I can take out a bottle at the current feeding, for the next feeding, and warm it up on the counter; I've been told to put it in a glass of hot water; I've been told to put in a glass of warm water, as hot will destroy it's nutritional properties. I fear I've not been doing it properly for TWO MONTHS now, and don't want to be giving my baby sour milk (I was leaving it on the counter). My baby's dirty diapers are by far liquid -- not the "cottage cheese" consistency I was told they should be at -- but I didn't think much of it, as breastfed babies' dirty diapers are more liquidy. (I am pumping and bottling, not breastfeeding directly).

So anyway -- I've found info on how to warm up FROZEN milk -- but I've found NOTHING on warming up REFRIGERATED milk. I can't give my baby freshly expressed milk, because due to his erratic schedule and fussiness, I can't pump during the day -- so I pump at night and store bottles in the fridge.

Any advice you all can give me, as a first-time mom -- I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you!

Default Re: how to warm refridgerated breast milk?

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBstorage.html

here is a link:
    Refrigerated milk: Warm the milk under warm running water for several minutes. Or immerse the container in a pan of water that has been heated on the stove. Do not heat the milk directly on the stove. Some babies accept milk right from the refrigerator.

But if I put it in a pan of water heated on stove -- that is hot water -- so thus conflicting with the warm running water...........?

I just think they mean heat the water till its warm not hot.
    not boiling either.

A lot of times babies don't mind milk straight from the fridge...ours never did. Certainly makes things easier!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

with pp. DS also takes bm right from the fridge, so it's worth trying that. When we were warming it up, we put hot tap water in a glass & put the bottle in that for a few minutes. It just "took the edge off" rather than getting it fully warm, but it worked for him. Then one day we forgot to warm it up, he liked it anyway, and the rest was history!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

only needs to be body temp anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    Then one day we forgot to warm it up, he liked it anyway, and the rest was history!
    Ours was more like he was screaming his head off and he could try the cold milk or wait...he chose cold milk.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My DS will only take it slightly warmer than body temperature... not sure why. We did used to heat it up for him using hot water in a container, but we did eventually get an Avent bottle warmer, and it really worked for us and saved us a lot of time.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine