Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Baby spit up and reflux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    42

    Default Baby spit up and reflux

    My 7 weeks old baby boy is spitting up, making frequent burps and hiccups since his 3rd week. He was diagnosed with acid reflux and now he is on zantac. I feed him every 2-3 hrs. I have elevated his crib, keep him in upright postion for 30 mins after each feed. The problem is when he is asleep he gets disturbed with burps. When he feels uncomfortable I put him on my shoulders to release the burp. This happens several times before his next feed time. He sleeps well if he is not disturbed by frequent burps. We are not sleeping during the night. We need to release his burp every now and then when he's asleep.

    Why is he getting so many burps? Is it related tot he reflux? or the food that I'm consuming.

    He always likes to sleep on his side. I know infants are not supposed to sleep on their side. When I make him to sleep on his back then starts feeling so uncomfortable and arching his back.

    Please help me with my questions

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sunny Arizona
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: Baby spit up and reflux

    How long has he been on the zantac? It takes a couple of weeks for the damage to get fixed. I also noticed some great improvement when I cut diary out of my diet. DD also slept better on her tummy. I know it's frowned on and for good reason, but it was the only way to get DD to sleep. However, we cosleep so I was able to monitor her very closely. She is 4.5 months old now and has been off her zantac for 2 weeks, so it does get better and easier mama, hang in there.

    Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

    Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

  3. #3

    Default Re: Baby spit up and reflux

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllidsajin View Post
    My 7 weeks old baby boy is spitting up, making frequent burps and hiccups since his 3rd week. He was diagnosed with acid reflux and now he is on zantac. I feed him every 2-3 hrs. I have elevated his crib, keep him in upright postion for 30 mins after each feed. The problem is when he is asleep he gets disturbed with burps. When he feels uncomfortable I put him on my shoulders to release the burp. This happens several times before his next feed time. He sleeps well if he is not disturbed by frequent burps. We are not sleeping during the night. We need to release his burp every now and then when he's asleep.

    Why is he getting so many burps? Is it related tot he reflux? or the food that I'm consuming.

    He always likes to sleep on his side. I know infants are not supposed to sleep on their side. When I make him to sleep on his back then starts feeling so uncomfortable and arching his back.

    Please help me with my questions
    Hi, there.

    It sounds like you all are having some tough times with different things. Many new mothers who have similar obstacles when they first start breastfeeding are able to adjust just a few things and then are able to have a successful, positive breastfeeding experience. Hang in there! It will get easy with every day & week.

    Some babies may burp more than others... it can all be so individual. As their digestive systems mature, it generally gets better and easier.


    Usually if a baby takes in more foremilk rather than hindmilk more spitting up can be the result. You all may be experiencing too much foremilk (more watery than the fatty hindmilk which your milk gradually turns into) intake which can be common in the early weeks. Some moms will keep their baby to one breast for a little bit longer before switching to the other... expressing for comfort on the other breast when they need to relieve some of the pressure (instead of pumping). This will make your milk flow a little more manageable. So, if you started on the right side... nursed... and then 1-4 hours later he wanted to nurse again... go back to the right side. This is called block nursing and may take a few days for a difference to be seen.

    While most moms can eat anything they want in moderation, sometimes gas/fussines in baby can be traced back to something mom recently has eaten. Have you eaten anything different or in a larger than normal amount recently that might cause baby to be extra gassy? Dairy is usually a common culprit. If you eliminate/reduce the amount of dairy you take in & you see a difference in the gas/fussiness in 2-3 days, then you know it's dairy (although dairy can take up to 2 weeks to leave the body entirely). Then, after a couple of months, a mom can slowly reintroduce dairy back into her diet to see if baby can tolerate it better, since their digestive system has matured some. It can sort've be a detective game sometimes.

    Do you know of any breastfeeding support groups near you? These can be an extra source of help & support for a new mommy. Things may seem so new but don't forget to listen to that small voice inside.

    Here's an article that has some more info...

    LLLI doesn't have an official stance on sleep, however we do recommend however your baby sleeps, it's done in a safe manner. Some mothers keep their baby upright while sleeping by allowing baby to sleep in their car seat. Others keep baby upright by allowing baby to sleep on their arm, etc. Drs. James McKenna and Sears have some safety guidelines for sleeping babies and here's another article you may find helpful.

    take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Baby spit up and reflux

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    How long has he been on the zantac? It takes a couple of weeks for the damage to get fixed. I also noticed some great improvement when I cut diary out of my diet. DD also slept better on her tummy. I know it's frowned on and for good reason, but it was the only way to get DD to sleep. However, we cosleep so I was able to monitor her very closely. She is 4.5 months old now and has been off her zantac for 2 weeks, so it does get better and easier mama, hang in there.
    He is on zantac for 3 weeks. Most of his symptoms are gone except frequent burps, hiccups and spits. I have also cut down on dairy for past 3 weeks. I have started to notice less spit ups. But I don't know he is doing better becoz of zantac or dairy ffree diet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Baby spit up and reflux

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*speedy.marie View Post
    My LO has had these same problems but it seems to be getting a little better. I had to eliminate every single shred of dairy and dairy by-product, nuts, wine, spicy food, caffeine, and eggs. We have her sleeping on her side but I have also had to take up cosleeping in order for her to nurse often enough and that is the natural position for her to nurse lying down. Maybe try nursing uphill or lying down. DD will only nurse lying down. It seems to keep from aggravating her reflux. Once we started nursing lying down she doesn't need to be burped anymore.

    The good news is your LO will outgrow it.
    I'm also staying away from all the food products you have mentioned above. I always nurse by holding hime upright by sitting in a chair. I thought lying down and feeding might aggravate his symptoms. I thought lying down will bring his acid more.Anyway I will try this position.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Baby spit up and reflux

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLCarla View Post

    Usually if a baby takes in more foremilk rather than hindmilk more spitting up can be the result. You all may be experiencing too much foremilk (more watery than the fatty hindmilk which your milk gradually turns into) intake which can be common in the early weeks. Some moms will keep their baby to one breast for a little bit longer before switching to the other... expressing for comfort on the other breast when they need to relieve some of the pressure (instead of pumping). This will make your milk flow a little more manageable. So, if you started on the right side... nursed... and then 1-4 hours later he wanted to nurse again... go back to the right side. This is called block nursing and may take a few days for a difference to be seen.
    I also suspect my baby is taking too much foremilk by looking at his poop and the way he gulp and cough. When he is gulping I have started to hand express some milk on a cloth. Is this because of the letdown? He usually takes one breast at a time.I'm aslo doing block nursing but the problem is my other breast is so engorged. I'm emptying my other breast by pumping. By doing this am I signaling my other breast to produce more. Like you said If I hand express some milk will I be producing more foremilk on the other breast. Because I'm not emptying my breast. Do you want me to do 2 feeds on one breast and switch to the other for next 2 feedings?

    While most moms can eat anything they want in moderation, sometimes gas/fussines in baby can be traced back to something mom recently has eaten. Have you eaten anything different or in a larger than normal amount recently that might cause baby to be extra gassy? Dairy is usually a common culprit. If you eliminate/reduce the amount of dairy you take in & you see a difference in the gas/fussiness in 2-3 days, then you know it's dairy (although dairy can take up to 2 weeks to leave the body entirely). Then, after a couple of months, a mom can slowly reintroduce dairy back into her diet to see if baby can tolerate it better, since their digestive system has matured some. It can sort've be a detective game sometimes.
    I'm now doing dairy free diet. He is now less fussy and spit ups have reduced but still I was not sure if it's because of zantac or my diet. Anyway I will continue this dairy free diet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •