Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supply Question

Question Supply Question

Hi

I've just gone back to work after being with my boy & BF exclusively for 4 months. A week after being back, when i pump at work, the amount seem to dwindle day by day. I can usually hit 4.5oz or even 5oz on a good day (and if i pump a little bit later than the usual 4hrs).

Due to my job, i can't go disappearing every 2 hrs to pump, so i pump as often as my 4.5-month eats (every 4hrs these days). Last week for 2 consecutive pumps, i got a little under 4.5oz. Today n yesterday my before lunch pumping session only got me 4oz. And that's doing it for a full 20minutes and compressing. I'm upset with the possibility of supplementing.

Any tips that can help? I'm eating oats and drinking lactation supplement (Anmum Lacta).

Thank you!

Default Re: Supply Question

Because a child is more efficient than a pump at removing milk from your breasts, you may need to pump more often than your child eats. A child sucks and compresses, whereas a pump just sucks.

I used fenugreek to increase my supply. Check out the forum here about increasing your milk. There are lots of great suggestions.

Is it possible for you to increase your pumping sessions? Can you pump right before work and right after you clock off?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Hi -

I am in the exact same situation as you. My DS is now eating 6 oz. every feeding and I'm only getting out 5 each session...I have had success taking Fenugreek as well however, I must pump every 2 hrs, 3 the latest. I actually have been pumping as much as I can in the morning hours since my supply seems greatest then. I also pump on my commute to work and back.
    Also, the more I stress about not being able to produce enough, the less I get...I try to come on this site while hooked up and it helps!!
    Good luck, we'll be thinking about you!

Some things you can do to improve your output:
    - Pump more frequently. This is absolutely, hands-down, the best thing you can do. Even if you get more milk if you let yourself go more than 4 hours between pumping sessions, this will ultimately be counterproductive because every time you allow milk to sit unused in the breast, your body reduces production a little more. It's better to pump more frequently, even if you get less out each time, than it is to wait for the milk to "build up." I know you said your job does not allow you to pump every 2 hours, but is there any way around this? Most jobs legally entitle you to at least a bathroom break every so often- is it possible that you are entitled to such a break, and if so, could you pump during it?
    - Pump after nursing when you are together with your baby. This will increase your overall supply and ensure you have enough pumped milk to get your baby through the work day. Many moms find they pump the most milk early in the morning, so even adding 1 pumping session before you go to work could make a difference. If you drive to work, you might even be able to pump in your car if you can get a hands-free setup going.
    - Try power pumping. Pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, and finally pump for 10 more minutes for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in a 1-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds- and increases its mom's supply- during a growth spurt.
    - Try a new/different pump. There is a big difference in effectiveness between pumps, with manual pumps being the least effective and hospital-grade pumps being the most effective.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Even if you get more milk if you let yourself go more than 4 hours between pumping sessions, this will ultimately be counterproductive because every time you allow milk to sit unused in the breast, your body reduces production a little more.

I know it can be hard but increasing your pumping/nursing sessions is what will help your supply the most. Sometimes I would do a pumping session in the evening or morning before work if I could not pump enough during the day when I was away from DD.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

with pp; lots of good suggestions. Also, can you pump hands-free? (Here's an inexpensive way to try it, if you don't have the Medela Freestyle http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html.) I pump in the car after I drop DS off and again on the way to pick him up. It is an easy way to squeeze a couple of more pumpings in.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Hi, Mamma.

You've received some great suggestions from the moms here... Have you tried posting this in the Pumping/Working forum to see if you get some more suggestions?
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and advice!

I'm gonna try pumping every 3hrs (instead of 4) at work now, as a start. I work in advertising and the workload's mad (not to mention the hours) and meetings are on almost all the time. If I disappear every 2 hrs, it'll certainly not go down very well with the bosses.. especially if they're looking for me for things

Oh and i breastfeed my boy before i leave for work, and then pump at work a few hours later.

Thank you again for all the support!

Exclamation Re: Supply Question

Quick Update : I've just came back from expressing. 3hrs after feeding my baby. I could just barely squeezed 0.5oz out

I actually cried for a bit in the room Is this the end of my breasfeeding journey? If I were to start him on formula for when i'm at work, will i still be able to breastfeed him during nights and weekends? This sucks

Oh, hang in there. I haven't come to this yet but I think it is b/c I work night shift. My baby eats at 7:30 pm 1:30am, & 5:30am, so I try to pump at those times at work and I only get about 4 oz each time. I fill the bottles at home for my usband with 4 oz also. I think that is all he eats and based on the calculations from one of the other websites it calculates out to 4 oz max, So don't give in to supplementing just yet, try to keep hard at the breast and good luck to you!