Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6-month old nursing one breast every 2 hours

Default 6-month old nursing one breast every 2 hours

Hi all -

My DD is 6 months on 2/9, and I'm seeking advice on how to get her to nurse more at each feeding (for her own sake - I don't mind nursing her every 2 hours!) so that she's not hungry so often.

As a newborn, she had some acid reflux issues, so I started feeding her one breast only at each feeding, alternating back and forth. I had read that this was a good way to help with making sure they get all of the hindmilk.

At her 4 month well appointment, I felt like her pediatrician looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I nurse her every 2 hours, just one breast at a time. She said, "she should be empyting both breasts at each feeding and should be feeding every 4 hours." She also said that she should be sleeping through the night with no problem. We still have 2-3 night wakings between 7 and 7. I love our ped - but I was very frustrated when we left. (She did, however, say to hold off on solids until 6 mos, which we have done, which I was happy about.) She was ranked in the 50th percentile for her weight at 4 months (13 lb, 6 oz).

Now that she's older, she'll still only take one breast at each feeding. The challenge is - she's getting smaller meals more frequently. I know that's better for us adults - but I hate to see her get hungry so often. I'd love to be able to feed her more at each feeding.

Maybe this is just normal for our girl? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure she's getting enough.

Any advice or suggestions would be so appreciated!

Thanks much.
    CC

Default Re: 6-month old nursing one breast every 2 hours

Babies are all different, some babies take in more milk at each feeding, and longer intervals go between feedings, and then there are babies that nurse only one breast at a time, and feed more often. Personally, my son when he has a newborn (and up until 12-13 months) nursed for 5 minutes per nursing, usually just one breast at a time, and I remember feeling frustrated because all the books would say that babies should "empty" both breasts at the same feeding. I learned through LLL that all babies feed differently, so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, about the sleeping, I think it's perfectly normal that your baby awakens at night. Most babies don't sleep "through the night" just like we, adults, don't sleep through the night without waking several times to move around, change sleeping position, etc.. the difference is that babies need our help to go back to sleep, and it's perfectly fine to meet the babies nighttime needs, in fact, it's very important.

Carmen,

Thanks so much! It helps to hear a nurturing perspective. And, to know that my instinct is right on.

Thank goodness for LLL!

CC

If your baby is growing then you are doing things right. Most
    doctors have very little training on breastfeeding.
    Do you let her nurse untill she is finished? And she comes off on her own?
    I don't think I have ever met a breastfeed baby that slept all night at 6 months old.

You are welcome CC, keep listening to your instincts you're doing a great job!!

My daughter also suffered from reflux and was a frequent, short nurser because of it. In the beginning, she nursed for less than 10 minutes at a time only on one side every 1-2 hours. It was somewhat concerning because I was expecting what the books said was 'normal'. Her reflux went away at 11 mths and now at 17 mths she takes both sides. It is true, every baby is different and your baby may be self limiting because of the reflux. It sounds like you guys are doing alright. There are pediatricians who know little about BFing reflux babies so I wouldn't worry about what your ped said. Best of luck to you!