Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby fussy/twisting at the breast

Default Baby fussy/twisting at the breast

I had a good latch with my son ( 3 weeks old), and I am recovering from a mastitis. I had some cracks and crevases in my nipples but the problem that caused them has been corrected and they are healing well. For the last few days, my son has been "wishy washy" at the breast. He'll ask for it and then sit there with the breast in his mouth, he might play with the nipple with his tongue. He'll then pull away from me with the nipple still in his mouth. Its gotten to the point where the areola is getting sore by the end and I'm still not satisfied he's drank enough. He'll often pop off the breast and immediately start rooting for it again and being fussy only to start the cycle over again.

The nurse and doctor I've spoken to say I just have to wait it out or that he may have a small cold that is keeping him from breathing properly but this doesn't seem to be the case.

He doesn't do this at every feeding but enough that its becoming a real issue for me.

I don't have supply issues: I could write my name on the wall in milk accross the room so I often have to express a bit of milk so he doesn't choke. I'm not really sure what else to do at this point.

Its starting to make me feel like I can't feed my son properly which intellectually i know isn't the case but it is seriously undermining my already shaky confidence.

Default Re: Baby fussy/twisting at the breast

I should add that he doesn't do this at every feeding (I'm trying to see what is different when he does it) and that he will sometimes start off well and then start fussing 10-15 minutes into it.

How is baby's wet diaper output? If he's gaining weight and having plenty of wet diapers every day then it could be that when he starts the fussing, he's done. How often is he asking to nurse? Does he nurse throughout the night? About how many nursing sessions per day are you satisfied with?

Does baby get a pacifier at all? What about bottles?

I apologize for all the questions - I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the situation

Diaper outputt is good and he's gaining well according to the doctor. He was asking to nurse every three hours and he nurses around midnight then 4 in the morning (his mornings are a bit of a free for all since we both fall asleep).

I was confident we had a good system going but then he started this. I fed him now and have started cutting him off when he starts his fussing if he's been on long enough and has bee drinking properly. I'm also trying out a new position to see if perhaps my let-down reflex was overwhelming him.