Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breasfeeding-bottlefeeding-pumping

Default Breasfeeding-bottlefeeding-pumping

I was just wondering if there was anything else you ladies can offer....

My DD is now 9 weeks. We initially had to supplement on day 1 due to low blood sugars. She also had trouble latching (kept sucking on tongue) and I had flat inverted nipples, and also had a lazy suck and was never awake long enough for a decent feed. So we used a nipple shield and the SNS. Afterwards I would pump. We did this for 1-2 weeks when DD was able to latch without the shield. So we continued with the SNS without shield for another 3-4 weeks and pumping afterwards....we did this about 8-9 times a day.

In addition, I had supply issues and had to supplement. I have tried fenugreek, blessed thistle, alfalfa, reglan, pumping longer and more often.

We introduced the bottle around week 4 for night feeds only and used the SNS for day feeds. But since week 6, I ditched the SNS completely and used the bottle only due to my sanity (was too cumbersome and seemed to take away the joy of breastfeeding).

So now we breastfeed, bottlefeed the expressed breastmilk, and pump for 20 minutes afterwards. We do this about 8 times a day. The whole production takes about 1-1.5 hour. In addition, DD is now somewhat rejecting the bottle after breastfeeding and pushing our the nipple with her tongue.

I don't know how much longer I can keep this up considering I will be returning to work at 16 weeks. Ideally I would love to get DD back to breast only but it seems the best she can transfer from my breast is about 1 oz (known from weighing after a feeding with my LC). How else can I help DD better transfer milk form my breast? I've tried switching sides, breast compressions. Do I need to do the SNS again? I've tried the SNS again and she seems to take forever with it as well and sometimes chokes more easily.
    In addition, I can't differentiate when she starts to swallow due to the milk that is from my breast and not the SNS.

Help. Do I just need to exclusively pump?

Default Re: Breasfeeding-bottlefeeding-pumping

I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling. It certainly sounds like you're giving 110% (and then some).

I haven't used an SNS so I can't offer advice there. My DS and I had a fair number of problems latching in the beginning; in our case it turned out to be due (at least in part) to torticollis, which involves tightness in the neck muscles (from position in utero) that can translate into jaw problems and hence a very inefficient suck. Of course I don't know your baby's history and if this is a possibility in your case, but what saved me was talking things through with a local LLLI leader. I had seen the LCs, talked with the ped, been on the forums... but it wasn't until a conversation with the leader that this possibility was suggested. So I encourage you to keep seeking help in person - it sounds like what you're dealing with is probably hard to evaluate otherwise.

Hang in there and I hope you find some resolution so you can truly enjoy breastfeeding! (The whole nursing - pumping - supplementing routine IS exhausting - YUK - you deserve a lot of credit for your perseverance!)

Default Re: Breasfeeding-bottlefeeding-pumping

I've been in kind of the same boat as you. I had to start supplementing with the SNS at 2 months because my supply dropped and DS was not gaining weight. So I was nursing and supplementing with the SNS and then pumping afterward. Sometimes I still have to use the SNS but I was able to get my supply back up. Sounds like you'r doing everything you can to build up your supply. With the SNS have you tried to use it after she's done nursing? Maybe if you attach afterward and get her on again you will be getting the most stimulation for your nipples and can still get her supplement to her. Anyway hope that helps, I know it's frustrating with pumping and supplementing, once I started to relax about the whole situation I did a lot better and had a lot less frustration. I know it's easier said than done though! Good luck!