Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do ?

Default What to do ?

The problem:
    Milk reduced due to 9 month complete baby not sucking if the milk letdown isnt instant. This has caused a HUGE dip in my supply and now its to the point of her urine output for the night being just one ounce. She is not dehydrated as yet -at least no signs of that. But she has lost a few oz. The doc just happily told me to supplement. If only it were that easy. She wont take anything - ANYTING else in a cup/straw/bottle. Besides if we manage to force feed her formula, the DHA kind, she vomits

I tried everything- fenugreek, mothers milk tea, more milk plus, guiness (1/2 glass), oatmeal, pumping, drinking lots of water and reglan.

The supply looks like it will gone up just a bit, but the letdown is a b****. What can I do ? Any quick fixes ? My baby starves... yesterday her dad took off from work early so we could try to feed her something, since I dont even pump much, we gave her a bot of formula.

What happens in cases when the mom passes away or is super sick to nurse or something, what do they do for those babies ? Do these kids eventually take something or do they fail to thrive ?

thanks for listening

Default Re: What to do ?

I see your concerned but I am thinking that her nightly output change might just be typical for that age, as they gain more bladder/bowel control.

You say she lost weight? From what date to what date were her weights. Was it neked and on the same scale? Same time of day? et cetera... The often slow down in their weight gain at this age as well..

let us know

forgot to mention letdown is something that the sensation is sometimes lost but it's still happening... are you pumping?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

can you pump or manually express until letdown and then bring baby to breast?

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Blessed thistle is said to help with letdown, so you may want to give that a shot. Has your doc considered prescribing Domperidone?

that the night dipe may not be a big concern. My DD occasionally wakes up almost dry, but then she'll have a super-soaker pee in the next one.

I'm sorry to hear that your supply issues haven't resolved. I don't know what else to suggest. Is she nursing well at night? Do you co-sleep? That may be a way to get more milk into her.
    Let us know how things go.

I alsonagree that hand expression may be better if you're not responding to the pump.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Blessed thistle is said to help with letdown,.
    where can i get it ? i looked in wholefoods but they dont have it seperate leaves for tea. Is this same as milk thistle ?

so you may want to give that a shot. Has your doc considered prescribing > domperidone?

doc wont prescribe it. says its not fda approved and is unsafe

that the night dipe may not be a big concern. My DD occasionally >wakes up almost dry, but then she'll have a super-soaker pee in the next
    she used to pee 6-12 oz at night, but now its 1 oz tops

Is she nursing well at night?
    We cosleep. I nurse her 1-2 times but just a cople of mts before she falls asleep again

I alsonagree that hand expression may be better if you're not responding to the pump
    I am trying that too, but i cant get the milk letdown with hand expression
    Last edited by @llli*s.p; January 28th, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    I see your concerned but I am thinking that her nightly output change might just be typical for that age, as they gain more bladder/bowel control.

You say she lost weight? From what date to what date were her weights. Was it neked and on the same scale? Same time of day? et cetera... The often slow down in their weight gain at this age as well..

let us know

forgot to mention letdown is something that the sensation is sometimes lost but it's still happening... are you pumping?
    just wanted to "bump" my post incase you didn't see my questions
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You say she lost weight? From what date to what date were her weights.
    Dont know exactly - but doc said she had falled off the curve since her last weighing. I dont know what her wt was at that weighing. This time she weighed 19 lbs and she had just nursed too.

Was it neked and on the same scale? Same time of day? et cetera... The often slow down in their weight gain at this age as well..
    Yes same scale at docs office. Almost same time because of the appt time.
    I weigh her before and after feedings sometimes (I have stopped doing that recently because it makes me very sad and anyway I have gotten good at guessing almost exactly how much she has had at one sitting). I have a rented medela scale which is pretty accurate to the 1/10th of an oz.

She gets abt 2 oz or so every feeding. She cant be getting more than 12-16 oz, if I am lucky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    Dont know exactly - but doc said she had falled off the curve since her last weighing. I dont know what her wt was at that weighing. This time she weighed 19 lbs and she had just nursed too.

Yes same scale at docs office. Almost same time because of the appt time.
    I weigh her before and after feedings sometimes (I have stopped doing that recently because it makes me very sad and anyway I have gotten good at guessing almost exactly how much she has had at one sitting). I have a rented medela scale which is pretty accurate to the 1/10th of an oz.

She gets abt 2 oz or so every feeding. She cant be getting more than 12-16 oz, if I am lucky

Well falling off the curve and loosing weight are different things - so that's promising that that was the verbage he used as opposed to "loosing weight' - please see this resource that talks more about the growth pattern of breastfed babies... using the WHO standard growth charts (different from the formula standard charts in DOC offices) your babe is above average But I am interested in her previous weights...

Since you had/have a scale, if you don't mind me asking , what has been her weigh pattern?

AS mentioned often times babies growth does slow down at this age...

How are her wet diapers during the day?
    Last edited by @llli*number4; January 29th, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

your baby is 9 months and 19 pounds? That doesn't seem to be "falling off the curve" to me Even if the doc was using a formula based growth chart, 19 lbs would put her at right at the 50th percentile.

here are the growth charts: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    your baby is 9 months and 19 pounds? That doesn't seem to be "falling off the curve" to me Even if the doc was using a formula based growth chart, 19 lbs would put her at right at the 50th percentile.

here are the growth charts: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html
    I am only assuming here but if he was charting the baby's personal growth curve then noted a "Dip" I am thinking thats what he would have meant... A drop might indicate an issue if a baby went from 90% to 25% BUT BUT BUT I am thinking it's not an issue in this case. but in any regard... a 19 lb 9 mo old is a healthy baby...

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson