Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreasing Supply -Help!

Default Decreasing Supply -Help!

I am a mother to a 5-month old boy and it seems like my milk supply is decreasing. He always seem hungry after he finishes eating so yesterday, I fed him a bottle of pumped milk and he took approximately 2 more ounces. Lately, when I pump, I only seem to be able to get 2-3 ounces at each sitting, when before, I would pump about 4 ounces. Also, let down seems to take forever when I pump when before, it would happen within seconds.

The LO just started to sleep through the night with the last feeding being at 7pm, a pump at 10pm and then a dream feed at 2am which holds him until 7am. Could it be because I am not feeding as often so the milk supply has gone down?

Please help. I would like to continue exclusively breastfeeding as long as possible but I may need to start supplementing if this keeps up. Will Mothers Milk Tea help?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Decreasing Supply -Help!

Definitely try the Mother's MIlk Tea and just pump as much as you can to keep the demand up. This happened to me when my LO was exactly the same age. I had an oversupply too, so I was really worried. Well a few days into my supply being low and AF returned! So that may be one possibility. My situation was exactly the same. LO fed last a 7 pm then STTN. I think this may have been why AF returned so soon. But as soon as AF showed up my supply went back to normal. But then dipped when I ovulated next and then right before the next AF. I am not saying this for sure is what is happening, but it could be. MY LO always nurses a ton more right before AF.

Here are some things people on this site have recommended to me:

-lots of water
    -eat oatmeal
    -try not to stress (I know, easier said than done, btdt)
    -check out the increasing you milk section.
    -try the lactation cookies
    - fenugreek and other galactagues
    -here are two really great websites that I have found:

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-herbal2.aspx

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/index.shtml

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies (created by Noel Pickett noel@clubmuse.com)
    Ingredients

* 1 cup butter or marg
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 4 tablespoons water
    * 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 2 cups flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    * 1 cup or more chocolate chips
    * 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.