Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Decreasing - Help!

Default Supply Decreasing - Help!

I am a mother to a 5-month old boy and it seems like my milk supply is decreasing. He always seem hungry after he finishes eating so yesterday, I fed him a bottle of pumped milk and he took approximately 2 more ounces. Lately, when I pump, I only seem to be able to get 2-3 ounces at each sitting, when before, I would pump about 4 ounces.

He just started to sleep through the night with the last feeding being at 7pm, a pump at 10pm and then a dream feed at 2am which holds him until 7am. Could it be because I am not feeding as often so the milk supply has gone down?

Please help. I would like to continue exclusively breastfeeding as long as possible but I may need to start supplementing if this keeps up.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Supply Decreasing - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mascon View Post
    I am a mother to a 5-month old boy and it seems like my milk supply is decreasing. He always seem hungry after he finishes eating so yesterday, I fed him a bottle of pumped milk and he took approximately 2 more ounces. Lately, when I pump, I only seem to be able to get 2-3 ounces at each sitting, when before, I would pump about 4 ounces.

He just started to sleep through the night with the last feeding being at 7pm, a pump at 10pm and then a dream feed at 2am which holds him until 7am. Could it be because I am not feeding as often so the milk supply has gone down?

Please help. I would like to continue exclusively breastfeeding as long as possible but I may need to start supplementing if this keeps up.

Thanks in advance!
    Hey, there!

Those first few months of breastfeeding can feel overwhelming sometimes. Kudos to you both for your dedication. Hang in there... it truly does get much easier from here on and the benefits to both you and your baby continue, too. :O) Breastfeeding is definitely not a "by the book" type of thing... it can have some learning curves in there, too. How great that you're looking for suggestions!

At about 5 mos, most babies become so distracted with everything in their "new" world that they can easily be fussy at the breast. Along with teething - very common around this age - distractiblility could also come with a new perfume, shampoo, detergent, etc. or even baby just being overstimulated and/or upset about something. Has the number of nursings increased... going to shorter and more frequent nursings? This sometimes happens... This might seem like a lower supply to many, but it sounds like it could just be a distractibility issue.

Different positions of nursing during the fussy times may help, too... ie walking while nursing (an art!) in a baby carrier, different nursing positions, dim room, etc. The less distractions, the better.

You may just want to go with the flow and continue nursing him on-cue - sometimes the amount of times increase for just a while but settle right back down, again. Nursing on-cue will help you both over this obstacle. Keeping a watch on baby's number of wet diapers... if they change considerably or if they stay about the same... is important. A call to the ped may help you feel better, too. Trust those mommy extincts.

Many times when a mom is having any difficulties with milk expression, it has to do with her let down respone rather than a low milk supply. Stimulating the let-down reflex is most important to effectively expressing milk... this can be just as much physchological as it can be physical. Do you think you might be a little stressed lately? This is pretty normal for many. Massaging the breast while nursing and pumping can also help.

take care and let us know how things go,
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; January 29th, 2009 at 09:17 AM.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Supply Decreasing - Help!

has anything changed in your life? As your baby becomes more active it is harder to look after yourself. I forget to eat and don't drink enough and my supply goes down. I don't know how long you have had a reduced supply but the few days before my period my output goes down dramatically too.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Unhappy Re: Supply Decreasing - Help!

Hi

I've just gone back to work after being with my boy & BF exclusively for 4 months. A week after being back, when i pump at work, the amount seem to dwindle day by day. I can usually hit 4.5oz or even 5oz on a good day (and if i pump a little bit later than the usual 4hrs).

Due to my job, i can't go disappearing every 2 hrs to pump, so i pump as often as my 4.5-month eats (every 4hrs these days). Last week for 2 consecutive pumps, i got a little under 4.5oz. Today n yesterday my before lunch pumping session only got me 4oz. And that's doing it for a full 20minutes and compressing. I'm upset with the possibility of supplementing.

Any tips that can help? I'm eating oats and drinking lactation supplement (Anmum Lacta milk).

Thank you!