Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to encourage nursing through a strike

Default Re: how to encourage nursing through a strike

Also, if there's any concern with how much breastmilk she's getting, you may want to check with your ped. Although you can't always go with their number of wet diapers, if there's a change in patterns, or if you feel something's not right, this may be a red flag. Also, this article may give you some more ideas...
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thanks again. We were just at the ped's yesterday - and she had lost 4-5 oz. since the beginning of the month, but both the nurse and the ped said they weren't worried. They said it was probably just because she was sick. Also, the ped. said he didn't see any signs of dehydration. She is still wetting diapers, and cries tears, plenty of mucus around her mouth, etc. She seemed less sleepy today and more active when nursing. The hardest part for me is that she old enough now (7 mo.) that I can't always feel my milk let down, even when it does - and sometimes she'll nurse VERY quickly (5 min.) and get all that she needs, even without sucking a lot. So...it's hard to tell with her. Am I missing anything???

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

It can be hard when they start to nurse less... Especially since your ped wasn't concerned, then you might just want to keep nursing on-cue. Doing this is the best way to keep your supply to exactly what's needed. Sometimes when babies are sick, they can loose a little bit of weight but bringing it back with nursing on-cue... just like adults do. There's just a little bit more caution with babies this age... they're so young and growing so fast. You mentioned some great things to look out for... Keep listening to your mommy instincts, too. Baby will be back to her normal self.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thanks. It is nerve racking when they are so little. She isn't eating any solids yet...etc...I also have the added pressure of working full time and I don't pump much at work - but she will get what she needs from the bottle and I can hopefully make up for it during the night time with nursing on cue. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Oh and I feel a little guilty b/c I haven't wanted to give her a bottle - have just offered more nursing. Is this ok? Should I have given her some expressed milk in a bottle after nursing if she seemed fussy? She was able to go to sleep without it, so I assumed she was ok...

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months