Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will my baby nurse ever again?

Unhappy Will my baby nurse ever again?

Here's a short synopsis:

I had to go back to work when my son was 2 weeks old so my milk supply never was really great. I resorted to supplementing and pumping with my Medela dual breast pump while at work.
    At 3 months old, my son began refusing to nurse, in spite of my efforts to nurse as often as possible and pumping during my lunch break. I became so upset and frustrated with myself of not producing enough milk. I grievingly gave up breatfeeding and have not been for 3 months now. I miss that connection that I felt when nursing. I did not have the support that I needed to continue-now wishing I had connected with LLL back then . I'm asking my fellow mothers if it is possible to begin nursing again once you've stopped for a long period of time?

Thanks for any advice,

Swee

Default Re: Will my baby nurse ever again?

I definitely think it's possible. I just read recently about someone's four-month-old trying to nurse after only having bottle fed. There are a few things you can do. Take a whole weekend sometime that you can just stay at home and lay around in bed with your baby doing a lot of skin-to-skin, take baths together, wear him in a sling (without wearing a top). All of this may get him interested in trying to nurse. Also trying to nurse when he is very sleepy or even asleep has also worked for some moms.

Another thing you can try is a nipple shield which, because it's silicone, it feels like a bottle. It's worth a try. I used a nipple shield with my daughter for 6 months and though she refused to nurse without it before, at 6 months she started nursing fine without it.

I'm sure others will have some other ideas. But, I also wanted to say that every drop of breastmilk your baby gets is awesome no matter if it's straight from the source or not, though I completely understand how you may long for your baby to nurse directly. hang in there

ETA: oh, and
    Last edited by @llli*jeannie.bean; January 28th, 2009 at 01:00 AM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thank you for the support. I may give it a try, but I'm still concerned about getting any kind of milk supply back.

There is hope ! Do you have a milk supply at all? Have you been pumping? If you have not gave up pumping and you are struggling with your supply I would talk to your LC about Fenugreek or Mother's Milk Tea. I used both and they work great!!!! Then you can pump as much as you can (120 min a day if possible) to bring up your supply. I know it seems like alot but you need as much nipple stimulation as possible to signal the brain to produce more milk. A great book about increasing supply and maintaining it is Exclusively Pumping:A Guide To Provide Expressed Breastmilk For Your Baby.

If you don't have a supply at all I would talk to your doctor about medication for relatation. There are stories of adoptive mothers who are able to bf because of medication.

After your supply has been well established, I would then try to breastfeed. My daughter was "Nipple Confused" at 6 weeks so I had to excluively pump for 3 months. I was so depressed and missed nursing so much that I researched every piece of information over the internet on how to get her back on. I even emailed Dr. Newman. I ordered a Hollister Nipple Shield and it worked great! Medela has a contact shield but I didnt like it. The Hollister's shield is a much thinner silicon so I can feel her when she nurses therefore, my supply was never an issue. With the medela, the silicon is thicker around the nipple which made it very difficult to get a let down because I couldnt feel her nurse.

I would lay down in bed to nurse her because it seems like an easier transition. Thats the only place my daughter will nurse and I am sooooo ok with that!

Good luck mama! Believe in yourself and it will happen!!!
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Wow that is awesome! Amazing testimony! You've given me much inspiration. My supply is zilch right now, so I'm going to talk to my doctor about medication. Thank you thank you thank you! Yall are awesome!

There is hope!!! I pumped a little while ago and to my amazement, drops of milk came!!! After 3 months of no BF I was for sure dry. I'm going to do everything I can to increase my supply. I am determined!!! Any advice is surely welcomed and needed!

Thank you to all

Swee

Lilliebelle has given you the perfect advice. It was a very good week here when her baby latched on for the first time in months. That week, as I remember, there were 2 other non-latching babies that went back on the breast. We were all very happy.

Like she said, your #1 concern is to get your milk supply up. When you've got lots of milk, then you can start trying to get baby back on the breast. The tool for the job is a hospital-grade rental pump. Double-pumping will save you time and help you build your supply back up faster. There are also herbs and medication that can help you on your way. Kellymom is a great source of information. Start with 5 minute pumping sessions and work your way up to 20 minute sessions as you get more milk. Don't be discourage at first by the quantity you are getting, it will increase!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/rel...resources.html
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

You may want to take a look back at Lilliebelle's first posts, there is some very good advice there.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=65016

Alot of use are here on a daily basis. We are here to cheer you on and are looking forward to hearing your progress. You can do it!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; February 1st, 2009 at 01:42 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

That is amazing that you have milk ! Keep us informed on how things are going! If you ever need someone to talk to you have plenty of loving mothers here to help or just message me. I am sipping on some Mother's Milk Tea right now. Not only does it increase your supply, it also feels so good on a cold winter day
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year