Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to encourage nursing through a strike

Exclamation how to encourage nursing through a strike

My lo is 7 mo. and she has an ear and lung infection. She has reduced her nursing - and has actually lost a few oz. of her weight. She's not dehydrated and her diaper output is fine. But I am having a hard time getting her to nurse and even when I try to nurse her in her sleep (when she sleeps with me), she refuses. I know it can back fire on me to "force" her to nurse, but I can't pump much any more - only get a couple of oz. after 4-6 hours of not nursing - and I really want to keep up my milk supply as a work full time. I'm taking fenugreek and doing all the dietary things on my end. How can I encourage her to nurse without making it worse?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: how to encourage nursing through a strike

poor baby.
    I'm sure when she is fealing beter she will nurse beter.
    Your supply will adjust and you'll make more milk

Hi there
    Wow that sounds like you are having a tough time. And stress doesnt help the sitch either...
    Nursing so bear with typos
    My LO also striked at 7 months, think this is common. Combined with ear pain sounds like recipe for disaster. Have you tried feeding with her up rihht rather than lying down, even standing up? that may take pressure off hr ears.
    and have you tried just hanging out skin to skin but not trying to get her to latch. Have a bath together or something? Can you just loll around in bed for the afternoon topless reading all her favorite books or toys? This is what I did wit Ashley, it took three afternoons but he fell back in love with my good things eventually!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Thanks for the advice. How do I know if I need to supplement with a bottle? She's sleeping a lot and not acting hungry. Good advice. It's too bad that I have to go to work tomorrow and Friday. But today and over the weekend I can spend extra time with her!!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

watch her diapars and if her pee isn't clear try and get her to nurse.
    I don't think you can offer too much when they are sick.
    IS she running a fever?
    You might try a fever reducer she might nurse well if the fever goes away.

Thanks, yeah, she isn't running a fever. I think it's her ear and my drop in supply that is bothering her.

What constitutes clear pee? Is a little bit of very light yellow ok? I know she's peeing as I can see it in the diaper, but it doesn't seem as much as usual.

It smells totally clear - no weird smells in the pee - so that is good, right?

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

yeah....
    you cann't go by counts with older kids once they learn to hold it so you might not be able to say
    5-6 wets...

Its so hard when they are sick!
    I hope she's on the mend soon.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    My lo is 7 mo. and she has an ear and lung infection. She has reduced her nursing - and has actually lost a few oz. of her weight. She's not dehydrated and her diaper output is fine. But I am having a hard time getting her to nurse and even when I try to nurse her in her sleep (when she sleeps with me), she refuses. I know it can back fire on me to "force" her to nurse, but I can't pump much any more - only get a couple of oz. after 4-6 hours of not nursing - and I really want to keep up my milk supply as a work full time. I'm taking fenugreek and doing all the dietary things on my end. How can I encourage her to nurse without making it worse?
    Hi, there.

So sorry to hear your baby isn't feeling well. Many times a nursing strike will happen when baby isn't feeling well. Hang in there!

I agree with the previous posters... lots of skin-to-skin with dim lights, warm baths with baby, keep offering the breast. Warm compresses and massage before a feeding might help encourage a baby to nurse, too.

If baby does miss a feeding, then pumping and/or hand expression will be needed to maintain supply and avoiding plugged ducts/mastitis.

Keep up your morale...
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thanks - she hasn't full missed a feeding, just a longer stretch between them at some points. I have used hand expression to try to keep up my supply. I don't think plugged ducts are a problem right now - low supply is. But we are rounding the corner, I think!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Thanks - she hasn't full missed a feeding, just a longer stretch between them at some points. I have used hand expression to try to keep up my supply. I don't think plugged ducts are a problem right now - low supply is. But we are rounding the corner, I think!

Good thing that you don't have any plugged duct problems... the chances of these are increased with unusually longer stretches of time between nursings, especially with abrupt type nursing strikes. Keep up the hand expressing... adding in a complete session to help with supply.
    Carla
    LLL Leader