Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow gainer or other problem? Help.

Post Slow gainer or other problem? Help.

I don't want to give up breastfeeding, but I feel like I am starving my LO. My son was born 4 weeks and three days by c-section following a 24 hour induction and arrested labor. He was born at 8lbs 10oz. I began breastfeeding as soon as I could. The first two days were rough with painful latch problems. The three day weigh-in came in a 7lbs 12 oz, which resulted in the doctors and consultants advising supplementation. Day three evening started to reject one of the breasts, and by day four was nipple confusion leading to rejection of the other breast. Milk came in fifth day and, with determination, was able to get LO back on the breast by avoiding other nipple types. We went in for weigh-in at one week (on a Monday). He only weighed 7lb 10.8oz. Doctor wasn't concerned considering that my milk had just came in basically two days prior. Also stated that scales are different from place to place and he was very alert, healthy looking, etc. We went back in four days later (Friday) and he weighed 7lbs 13.8oz. I was happy and thought we were improving. After noting to myself that he is just so skinny, I decided to go back for a weigh-in last week when he was three weeks and five days old (two weeks later). He was only at 8lbs 3.0oz. Only 5.2oz in two weeks? Our doctor was out, but another said everything looked fine. I called our doctor later, who said everything is okay and while she doesn't think it necessary, I could supplement only after nursing so not to reduce my supply. He won't take the formula (grimaces), so I am trying to pump (manual) after feeding/in-between times and can barely get .5oz in ten minutes on both breasts. Our latch is good and I can see and hear him swallowing. I let him finish a breast before the other. He is constantly feeding. He used to dirty his diaper like after each BF, but lately just probably 4-8 dirty diapers and I believe adequate wet diapers. Sleeps well at night (4 hours, then 2.5-3), but napping during the day is sometimes rough as he wants to be at the breast. I am going to see another doctor tomorrow because I am super concerned about him not at birth weight at four weeks old. Is there anyone that has dealt with a slow gainer like this? Sorry so long, just worried and looking for reassurance. I want to keep breastfeeding, but not at the expense of my LO not gaining weight. Thanks.

Default Re: Slow gainer or other problem? Help.

Could it be the scales? Is the exact same scale being used every time he's being weighed? I'm just wondering because according to one scale my LO was not at her birthweight by 4 weeks and on another she was 9 ounces over! The doctor told me that some scales vary up to a pound and that I should only rely on the one scale we always use rather then ones elsewhere.

At 5 weeks my daughter was at 8lbs 6oz after being born at 7lbs 7oz (after being down at 6lbs 9oz 4 days after her birth). She didn't gain any weight between week 4 and 5 and they still can't explain why but then by week 6 gained 6 more ounces. If your doctor doesn't seem concerned, your baby has plenty of wet (around 8) and dirty diapers everyday then I would probably keep going in for weigh ins to make sure he is gaining (they say between 4-7 ounces a week).

I'm sure someone else will have some better advice, but good luck
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Okay so he was 8 # 10 oz at birth and now at 4 weeks he's 8 # 3 oz?

I'll assume you had plentiful IV fluids? Often times those can inflate a baby's birth weight to something beyond what they would have weighed.

Having said that - if he is nursing often, having plentiful wets and dirties - seems to be progressing socially and the doc isnt worried - I wouldn't be either.

Here's a resource you might find helpful - let us know if it is...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I just also wanted to mention that often babies born to mamas who received a lot of IV fluids tend to be a bit "puffy", and their birthweight can be inflated by those fluids, making any subsequent loss look greater than it actually is.

I would also recommend using only one scale if baby's weight gain is of concern. Scales can be off by a lot, and that will just add to your stress.

Odds are, if your baby is drinking at the breast, having 3-4 yellow poops and 6-8 wets a day, he's just fine. You could try doing some breast compressions to get more of the fatty hindmilk into him. I can't post a link here, but there are great resources on kellymom.com and Dr. Jack Newman's website.

Hang in there Mama. It's hard to trust your body sometimes, but it was made to do this! If you want to keep an eye on lo's weight gain, you can probably go to your ped's office weekly for a weight only check to set your mind at ease.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Hi Mama! Welcome, and congratulations on the new baby!

I'm with the previous posts: don't be in a hurry to take all the blame for your child's apparent slow weight gain on yourself. IV fluids, milk coming in a bit late, and variances between scales could account for everything.

I called our doctor later, who said everything is okay and while she doesn't think it necessary, I could supplement only after nursing so not to reduce my supply.
    If you doctor isn't panicked, you shouldn't be, either. Trust me, pediatricians are usually the first ones to freak out when they see low weight gain. I would not entirely agree with your doc that supplementing after nursing would not reduce your supply: every time you use formula, your baby will drink less at the breast and that will reduce your supply. Supplementing with pumped milk, on the other hand, will not harm your supply at all.

I am trying to pump (manual) after feeding/in-between times and can barely get .5oz in ten minutes on both breasts.
    I'm surprised you're getting anything! There are big differences between pumps, and manual ones are usually the least effective. Also, don't judge your milk supply by what you can pump, as babies are generally much more efficient than pumps at draining the breast.

Our latch is good and I can see and hear him swallowing. I let him finish a breast before the other. He is constantly feeding. He used to dirty his diaper like after each BF, but lately just probably 4-8 dirty diapers and I believe adequate wet diapers. Sleeps well at night (4 hours, then 2.5-3), but napping during the day is sometimes rough as he wants to be at the breast.
    Everything you describe sounds just great!!! But if you are still concerned, I would suggest going to see a lactation consultant instead of a second pediatrician. A good LC (preferably one with the IBCLC credential) is probably a lot better qualified to diagnose nursing issues than pediatricians, who generally know very little about breastfeeding. When you go see the LC, you might want to rent a scale so you can do before and after weights every time your child nurses. That can provide a very reassuring picture of exactly how many oz your baby is drinking in a day.