Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At 10 Months How Many Ounzes at Day Care

Default At 10 Months How Many Ounzes at Day Care

My LO is 8 months old and has been exclusively BF since birth. Currently he has 5 feedings per day (nurse in the morning, 2 bottles at day care, nurse in late afternoon, and nurse before bed). He is getting 5 ounzes in each of his bottles and we have enough storage to continue that through 10 months...My question is when can he go down to 1 bottle a day at day care and how many ounzes? I'm pumping 3 times a day at work and having a hard time keeping my supply up. I also get up at 5:00 am and pump before my LO wakes. Since I have a 2 month storage can I start pumping less, assuming at 10 months he might only take 1 bottle (we would continue the 3 nursing sessions)?

I truly enjoy BF, but working full-time and pumping is tough and at times un rewarding.

Default Re: At 10 Months How Many Ounzes at Day Care

mama!

I know pumping is hard, but your LO appreciates it!

Here is a good tool for figuring how much your little one will need...a general rule of thumb is also 1 1.5 oz for every hour you are away...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I agree with Hillary on the 1-1.5 oz per hour. Does LO eat any solids? We did 3 bottles (4 oz each) until Max was established with solids and using a sippy cup. Then he went to 2 four oz bottles and a sippy of water with the meal at DCP, I'd say this was when he was about 8 months old. Then at 12 months we weaned down to 1 bottle/sippy of my milk and introduced cow's milk. I wanted to pump wean at that time but it took a few months to get him liking cow's milk. I finally pump weaned and therefore cut out all bottles at 15 months.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cueball View Post
    My LO is 8 months old and has been exclusively BF since birth. Currently he has 5 feedings per day ... Since I have a 2 month storage can I start pumping less, assuming at 10 months he might only take 1 bottle (we would continue the 3 nursing sessions)?

I truly enjoy BF, but working full-time and pumping is tough and at times un rewarding.

Hi, there.

Good questions! Pumping and working can be tough... How wonderful that you've been keeping up with pumping to continue giving your baby your breastmilk.

It sounds like you're wanting to wean your baby by 1 year old? If so, then gradually stopping pumping is how some mothers in your situation go about the weaning process. If nursing is still a main part of baby's nutrition, then you might consider the possibility of needing to give him formula or extending your plan of pumping. How do you feel about this?

Maybe pumping few times (once or twice) for some time may give you a better feel as to how your baby is handling it all? All babies are so different and it may be hard to gauge. How is baby's solids intake? Generally, solids will increase when a one year old baby's being weaned.

Do you know if your frozen milk stash is okay when thawed? Does your baby take this without problems? Do you know if you have a lipase issue?

Are there ways to possibly make pumping easier on you at work at the same time? There are some cool "tricks" out there. Maybe posting this question in the "pumping" forum you can get some ideas?

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader