Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Yellow House
    Posts
    697

    Default 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    My DD is 14.5 months old and has started asking for milk A LOT! She recently got the "milk" sign down really well, and now requests milk at every opportunity - I'd say like 12 times a day, up from 4-6 times. We've always nursed on demand and are doing child-led weaning, so I hate to tell her no. Should I attempt to reason with her on when we can nurse or should I make every effort to make time until this passes? I'm sure it's just because she's reveling in the fact that she can communicate this with me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becca-mama2elisabeth View Post
    I'm sure it's just because she's reveling in the fact that she can communicate this with me.
    Same thing happend with Avery.
    It's ok to set limits. Sometimes I say "lets play over here" and she moves on.

    Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

    ------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becca-mama2elisabeth View Post
    My DD is 14.5 months old and has started asking for milk A LOT! She recently got the "milk" sign down really well, and now requests milk at every opportunity - I'd say like 12 times a day, up from 4-6 times. We've always nursed on demand and are doing child-led weaning, so I hate to tell her no. Should I attempt to reason with her on when we can nurse or should I make every effort to make time until this passes? I'm sure it's just because she's reveling in the fact that she can communicate this with me.
    Me and Silas (almost 15 months) are right there with you guys!
    I work full time so it's as soon as he sees me at DCP's house, etc... I'm just follwoing his lead, i think he'll get tired of it after a while.... my husband laughed last night b/c Silas ws trying to pick up the boppy pillow and hand it too me, grunting and frustrated, and I said what's wrong you want some milk? he threw his hand up and started signing milk milk milk....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    My 14 month old brings me the boppy pillow when ever we are home and he wants to nurse. He knows the sign for milk and will nod yes when I sign it to him after he brings the pillow. It cracks me and and my husband up. If he brings me the pillow and I am busy with something else and tell him to wait he freaks out, lays the pillow down and lays on it all dramatic like until I have time to nurse him. My MIL babysat when I had to go to the ER with kidney stones recently and he refused to go to sleep and eventaually crawled over to his bobby pillow and curled up and fell asleep. SO CUTE!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,160

    Default Re: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    Enjoy it! I have found toddler nursing swinging wildly from nursing non-stop to nursing just a few times a day. Of course you can set limits, but 14 months is so little if they want to nurse then I would probably let them.

    My pedi told me that between the ages of 1-2 that I should nurse as often and as long as Logan needs!
    Lisa

    Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,770

    Default Re: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    My DD suddenly started nursing like a newborn around 13 months. I talked to my LC, and she told me it was very common at that age, with all the milestones and growing they are doing. She assured me it wouldn't last forever, and it didn't. She suggested trying the "don't offer, don't refuse" method, which suited me and DD quite well. Within a month DD slowed way down and weaned on her own another month after that (probably because I was pregnant and the milk supply changed). I'd say do what feels right, and don't worry about it if "right" means letting her nurse lots. It won't last forever.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    My little guy does this. It was most pronounced shen he first learned the sign. I think he was just so proud he could communicate. It got better when he learned to sign water, but now he's sick and teething so we're back to tons of nursing.
    When I posted on this last month some of the other moms reminded me that they're old enough now to set some limits if you need to, but it's also not a problem if you want to nurse him often.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,349

    Default Re: 14 month old nursing like a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Enjoy it! I have found toddler nursing swinging wildly from nursing non-stop to nursing just a few times a day. Of course you can set limits, but 14 months is so little if they want to nurse then I would probably let them.
    It's so nice to see that we're not the only ones who are nursing nonstop one day, and hardly at all the next. Toddlers.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

    http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •