Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sick and home alone with baby

Default sick and home alone with baby

I'm sick with a stomach virus and home alone with the baby. My husband is on business travel till Weds and we are having a snowstorm. I have no family nearby,and I hate to ask a neighbor and friend to help because I don't want to get them sick. One friend is going to put gatorade and chicken noodle soup on the doorstep. She kindly offered to watch my son, but she has a 1.5 year old and I don't want her to get sick.

I cannot keep down any liquids, not even one sip of water. My EBF son was sick yesterday but he is in good spirits today. Just a little diarrhea. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to weather this storm? Should I keep nursing him or start thawing my frozen milk?

Default Re: sick and home alone with baby

The best thing you can do is nurse through the illness. DH, dd1, dd2, and I had the stomach flu over Christmas. I know what you are going through.

Here's some info.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

I hope you get to feeling better. I'll come back wiyh more suggestions when I don;t have a wiggling baby in my arms.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

thanks!!!!!

definitely keep nursing the antibodies that you pass on to your lo to protect him from this bug are in your current milk, and not likely in your frozen milk
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

keep nursing! Not fun, hope you feel better soon!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Nurse and if you can, hire someone to come help you...a nurse if there is one in your area that does independent work.

I'm so sorry. BTDT!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I know it seems like this day is going to last forever, but it will end and you WILL feel better soon I was lucky that I had my mom when I got the stomach flu and she helped a ton, but in reality, DD just wanted me, and so I spent most of the day laying in the bed with her, nursing her as much as possible and napping with her. I was able to call in a Rx for a suppository (sp?) and that helped a ton. Not sure if that's possible in your situation...could the friend who offered to babysit pick one up for you? Oh, I know this is miserable. Hang in there!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*soccerplayingmom View Post
    thanks!!!!!
    You're welcome!

Like pp said, nursing will pass on the antibodies through your milk to your lo. Just another one of the amazing benefits of breastfeeding your baby!

Hang in there mamma! I know nursing isn't fun when you aren't feeling well. Hopefully the bug you have will be quick like the one my family had.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

yup take the baby to bed and just nurse!

Do what you can, as well - to keep hydrated.. small sipf of the gatorade/broth until you can stomach more at a time.... Thats really the biggest threat at this point!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.