Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to restart breastfeeding again

Red face I want to restart breastfeeding again

I have a 4 month old baby girl. I breastfed her exclusively for 1 month and had to stop because of medication I was taking for kidney stones. She is now taking Nutramigen baby formula for milk and soy allergy. I miss the bonding. I know breastmilk is better for her. I work fulltime outside of the home and do not have opportunities to pump while at work. I want to give her the best. Even if it's just a little breastmilk. I can pump/nurse when I'm at home. What can I do to get this started again? Should I? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: I want to restart breastfeeding again

I think that's wonderful! I haven't been there myself, so don't have much specific advice, but there should be some good resources for your on these forums and the rest of this website, and I know there are some good success stories of relactation around, so hopefully one or two of them will pipe up soon with something more helpful.

Do you have any milk right now? What happens if you put baby to the breast? If you pump?

Hey there mama and welcome! I don't have any personal experience with this, but you should be able to relactate by just putting baby to your breast as often as possible. You can probably help it to increase faster by eating oatmeal, drinking Mother's Milk Tea, and taking Fenugreek and/or Blessed Thistle. I know there are prescriptions out there to help with relactation, too. I'd try the natural way before seeking other treatment. I hope that helps!

Good luck!!!

Hey there mama and welcome! I don't have any personal experience with this, but you should be able to relactate by just putting baby to your breast as often as possible. You can probably help it to increase faster by eating oatmeal, drinking Mother's Milk Tea, and taking Fenugreek and/or Blessed Thistle. I know there are prescriptions out there to help with relactation, too. I'd try the natural way before seeking other treatment. I hope that helps!

Good luck!!!

I haven't done this myself, but I know that there are some ladies on this forum who have successfully relactated. , and let's keep bumping this thread until one of them posts with some advice!

(And to you for wanting to nurse your baby!!)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Here's a good link to get you started!

Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Hi there. I think that it's a wonderful thing you are trying to do for you little one. I don't know if I qualify as relactating but I did fall down the stairs when my son was three weeks old and had to build up my supply after that. I agree with the previous posts on pumping at work and nursing whenever you can. The things I did were:

1. nurse baby as often as I can when I'm home
    2. rented a hospital grade pump because they are more efficient (but not as much as baby) - if you cannot rent one, make sure your pump has enough power, I went to my regular pump after my supply came back up.
    3. Make sure my breast shields were fitted for me (wrong size could mean lower production)
    4. go on fenugreek (three capsules, three times a day)
    5. change bottle nipple back to newborn stage so flow is slower and more like breastfeeding
    6. find the nipple closest to mine so baby would accept me more easily.

I started with only about 1/2 ounce to an ounce for a while and now I'm about 3-5 ounces, which is enough for my son and he gains weight fairly well but I worry all the time still.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momuvtwinzn1babygirl View Post
    I have a 4 month old baby girl. I breastfed her exclusively for 1 month and had to stop because of medication I was taking for kidney stones. She is now taking Nutramigen baby formula for milk and soy allergy. I miss the bonding. I know breastmilk is better for her. I work fulltime outside of the home and do not have opportunities to pump while at work. I want to give her the best. Even if it's just a little breastmilk. I can pump/nurse when I'm at home. What can I do to get this started again? Should I? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    You have be given good advice/support from the Mom's on this forum. It is wonderful that you want to try to re-establish a nursing bond with your baby. Do you have the ability to contact your local LLL Leader so she can talk with you and walk you through the best way to relactate given your specific circumstances?

Thinking of you.
    Alene
    LLL Leader