Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing once a day - do I need to give him Homo milk?

Default Nursing once a day - do I need to give him Homo milk?

My 18 month old is only nursing in the morning now. He voluntarily dropped all the other sessions, one at a time. I'm wondering if I should be giving him some homo milk during the day sometime, or is the bm he gets in the morning still enough? (I'm pregnant - 18 wks).
    Laura, mama to Ian (07/26/07)
    Two with God, Grover (Feb '08) & Baloo (Aug '08)
    Benjamin (06/19/09)
    Abigail Grace (08/06/11)

My lil beans inspire my business. Please check out:
    http://www.LilBeanBaby.etsy.com
    http://www.lilbeanbaby.blogspot.com

Default Re: Nursing once a day - do I need to give him Homo milk?

I think the general rule is 3 to 4 nursing sessions a day will be sufficient for todler. I don't think you necessarily need to give him milk if you are giving him water and his dairy needs are met in other ways. Does he have dairy allergies or are you not wanting him to have homo milk? Personally I would recommend something in addition to nursing if he's only doing one a day, which I'm sure you're already giving him lots of water and other stuff. HTH
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks for your responses!

He does have water every day, and a fair amount of yogurt - probably 1/2 -1 cup, and usually cheese too. He also has 1% milk in soups, omelets, etc. He doesn't have allergies that I know of, I just suddenly realized that we're only nursing once a day now.
    Laura, mama to Ian (07/26/07)
    Two with God, Grover (Feb '08) & Baloo (Aug '08)
    Benjamin (06/19/09)
    Abigail Grace (08/06/11)

My lil beans inspire my business. Please check out:
    http://www.LilBeanBaby.etsy.com
    http://www.lilbeanbaby.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pookybosch View Post
    Thanks for your responses!

He does have water every day, and a fair amount of yogurt - probably 1/2 -1 cup, and usually cheese too. He also has 1% milk in soups, omelets, etc. He doesn't have allergies that I know of, I just suddenly realized that we're only nursing once a day now.
    My pediatrician said that even if I were not nursing, toddlers only need 2 servings of dairy a day, so your LO is meeting that with the yogurt and cheese. My 20 month old won't take more than a sip of milk from a cup or straw. As soon as she figures out what's in it, she says "water water!" She won't even drink juice. So, she gets her fluids from me and H2O and calcium from yogurt and cheese.