Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Signs of Teething - Specific to BFing

Default Signs of Teething - Specific to BFing

I know my little man is going through this AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL 4 month growth spurt. I think it's almost over. PLEASE!

Anyway, he's been nursing CONSTANTLY. I just assumed it was the growth spurt, but my mom mentioned that she remembered it being a sign of teething. Is this so? He does love his gums massaged, and every once in a while, he tries to clamp down and gum on my breast.. youch!

Are there other signs I can watch for while bfing?

Thanks!
    DS- 9-19-08, 9lbs 14oz
    DD- 9-12-10, 8lbs, 7oz

Default Re: Signs of Teething - Specific to BFing

IME the surest sign of teething is Night nursing increases to the point of resentment. So if your child normally nurses on average 3x a night. (To bed, once 2-3 hours later and then once again between 5 and 6am) It can increase to every 45min to 1.5 hours all night. Coupled with a cranky baby who won't nap well during the day. The surest way to test if it's teething pain is to dose them with Tylenol. If it gets you either a REALLY long nap bacj during the day OR at least one 3-4 hour stretch back at night, it's probably TEETH. They are in pain and the oxcytocin they get from your breastmilk actually helps them cope with pain. So it's very possible that a child that is seemingly only content at the breast is about to break teeth. However that usually doesn't happen until around 6 months. But I have certainly head of children breaking teeth at the 4 month point.HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

My son got his first tooth at four months. He was very fussy at the breast, constantly pulling off and crying. Before dosing with Tylenol, I would suggest the Hyland's teething tablets. They are homeopathic, so no possible side effects. They are even sold at Walmart now. Good luck. Teeth have been rather dreadful for us. (Number 3 just came through!)
    Amy
    Mom to Lewis John 6-26-08, Irene Grace 3-22-10, and Malcolm Thomas 2-6-12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylewis View Post
    My son got his first tooth at four months. He was very fussy at the breast, constantly pulling off and crying. Before dosing with Tylenol, I would suggest the Hyland's teething tablets. They are homeopathic, so no possible side effects. They are even sold at Walmart now. Good luck. Teeth have been rather dreadful for us. (Number 3 just came through!)
    While I absolutely think that Hyland are a great Teething tool, When trying to figure out that is ACTUALLY teething, they are not as effective a using Tylenol because they never last longer than one or two hours. So it makes it kind of impossible to know it it's actually teeth since the baby will probably wake every hour or other hour whether it's teeth or a growth spurt. Whereas when dosed with Tylenol, if it's teeth, they will sleep longer because if the longer lasting pain relief.
    If you KNOW it's teeth, Hyland are great to keep a child who is awake happy. But to get longer patches of sleep IME Tylenol works better because it simply lasts longer.

Way too lazy for formula

Stupid Forums
    Double Post

Way too lazy for formula

I'm glad that someone posted this. My dd is almost 5 months and is doing a lot of these things. DD1 didn't get her first tooth before 8 or 9 months if I remember correctly.

DD2 has been getting fussy at the breat and clamping down and twisting her head. She's been drooling a ton also. I guess we'll know sooner or later what's going on.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My understanding is that when your baby gets their first teeth is often in line with when Mom and Dad got their first teeth. So if Mom and Dad had early teeth, your baby may too. Apparently it's genetic.

Not that it helps me because MIL never kept any records and "didn't bother with that stuff". My Mom kept a baby book and tracked everything, I just need to look it up.

Amy has been drooling like a fiend lately and has clamped on me a few times. I haven't noticed any rosy cheeks though. She'll be 4 months old on Monday.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and