Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can my baby drink too much?

Smile Can my baby drink too much?

Hi everyone - me again. My DS is now 37 weeks, 5.5 lb and HOME from the NICU since last Saturday! It's been an interesting week so far!

I've been BF five times a day, and giving a bottle of breastmilk supplemented with HMF three times a day. When DS came home from the hospital, he was getting 47 ml/bottlefeeding session, and by weight, he was drinking about that per breastfeeding session.

We upped his bottle time to 50ml pretty quickly, then our pediatrician said to just give him what he wants, so we upped it to 60ml. When he's done with the bottle, he still roots around for more. But a couple times that I've given him more from the breast, he's spit up (mouth and nose) as if he took more than his little tummy can really hold. Easy to do when he consumes the bottle (with a preemie nipple) in 10-15 minutes.

How good is he at regulating his own consumption? Should I regulate his time at the breast at all? Is it safe to offer him more in the bottle? Should I put him back to the breast every time he roots or can he do non-hunger roots? Reflux has really started to be an issue we have to look out for these past few days.

It's really hard to revert to normal, non-analytical ways of thinking about this after a month of having everything in the NICU measured and quantified!

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!

Default Re: Can my baby drink too much?

Hi... I had my baby in the NICU for quiet a while, what I was told was that they would take more then they can handly... and her little tummies are like botles that if you feel them up to the top they will dam... the baby will spit up for the excess of liquid in his tummies...

Did you call the pedi to let him know this? or call the NICU thye will be happy to help

I am curious? If he is taking about the same amount from the breast as he is the bottle is the Dr. OK with you trying to eliminate some/all of the bottle feedings? I ask because if he is nursing and finishes eating and still wants to suck more, you can keep nursing him on an "empty" breast without overfilling him.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Congratulations on his discharge!

Even though I have heard some medical professionals say babies cannot over-feed themselves, I have also heard that they over-fill their tummy by bottle-feeding, because the milk flows faster through bottle than direct-nursing and his tummy fills before his brain receives "full" signal (grown-ups can overeat when eating too fast, too, if you think about it).

Refluxed babies root for more, because drinking can sooth their irritated throat. My DD rooted for more when she was bottle-fed at NICU and they were giving her 90ml, which made her reflux even worse.

Do you know at which point you can eliminate HMF?
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Well, I'm hoping to rent a breastfeeding scale for a week just to get an idea of how much he is actually taking from the breast. I have a really ample supply from all the pumping I did when he was in the NICU, so he could easily get more than he needs from "emptying" one breast. I only nurse on one side at a time right now. And sometimes he spits up after just nursing, too.

My pediatrician is suggesting we continue the HMF-supplemented bottles at least until he reaches term (Feb 20). Right now we're trying to limit the reflux/spitting up by burping frequently and removing the bottle from his mouth to let him take a breather.

It's just hard to know if we should be giving him more via the bottle (or less) or even limiting his time at the breast if he drinks too much. I don't have OALD, but there is definitely plenty there!

Did you keep the same schedule as when he was at the NICU? Another thing I was told was that feeding shouldnt exceed 30 min, anything after that time shouldbnt be given... Also, the more the baby is growing up and his body gets the ability to digest the milk faster he will be needing more... Dr will give you an idea of what you should do by the book....

Try to feed him to closer times and for less periods... Also, watch his tummy... if it gets too big, hard, that is a clue that he got plenty (preemies take a little longer I was told)

When did he start spit up?

How are things going mama?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I hope that no news is good news mama