Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My boyfriend wants to put cereal in sons bottles?

Default My boyfriend wants to put cereal in sons bottles?

My boyfriends aunt (who has nursed 10 children, no joke) keeps telling him to put cereal our sons bottles. I work 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts and my boyfriend is the caregiver and he's doing a great job. I just went back to work last week. And up untill today pumping and supply wasn't an issue. My son is having a growth spurt first of all and consumed an extra 4 oz. today than my boyfriend is use to. And I still had to come early because they ran out of milk. So he thinks our son is not getting full. I have explained growth spurts but it's not sinking in. So now his aunt told him to put cereal in his bottles and it will fill him up. I'm not comfortable with it and asked him to hang on thru the week untill the spurt ends and things will be normal again (until the next one).

Has anyone done this? I feel like it's not a good idea.
    Last edited by @llli*munchkin937; January 26th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: My boyfriend wants to put cereal in sons bottles?

It's not a good idea. THis is just one resource that talks about why. Print it out and have him read it. (it's about half the page down...)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

What is the best way to handle a growth spurt?
    Follow your child's lead. Baby will automatically get more milk by nursing more frequently, and your milk supply will increase due to the increased nursing. It is not necessary (or advised) to supplement your baby with formula or expressed milk during a growth spurt. Supplementing (and/or scheduling feeds) interferes with the natural supply and demand of milk production and will prevent your body from getting the message to make more milk during the growth spurt.

You're absolutely right and so smart to stand your ground. Cereal in a newborn's bottle is not a good idea. Here is a good article to help you explain more or have him and his aunt read about solids. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Also, growth spurts are a fact of life and will happen. You know this. He needs to be patient and your supply will get up to speed in a short amount of time IF cereal is not introduced. Cereal in the bottle can decrease your supply b/c baby will be full for a long time and not take as much BM, which he really needs now. Here is an article on growth spurts that he can read. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Your baby's only 2 months old? Too young for cereal, obviously. Some babies have had a bad reaction from rice cereal, so definately not a good idea. Tell your boyfriend this. I don't understand why this aunt knows so much about bottles if she nursed her kids?? I'm sure there's more internet info on this.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...-diabetes.html

In both studies, introduction of rice or gluten-containing cereals before 3 months of age increased baby's risk for type I diabetes.

Anyway, obviously your boyfriend's worried he'll run out of milk and will be left with a screaming baby, so you need to address his concerns. If you can agree to come home early for a few days, maybe this will ease his fears.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

with pp!!! Follow your gut, and wait until at least 6mo for solids. You're doing great!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Here is some info from the AAP & LLL that may help sway your boyfriend. Your instincts are right! As well as having a negative effect on baby, this could dwindle your milk supply. You're doing good!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Thank you everyone for all the great advice and resources. My boyfriend and I have talked more about this and he definetely sees my side. We are both still learning and now we know to make sure there is always a couple more ounces of milk just in case.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Besides all the facts that pp's have given you, cereal in the bottle is a really bad idea. Because they have to suck much harder to get the cereal through the nipple, it is really hard on their ears and is more likely to cause ear infections.

I'm glad that you were able to convince your boyfriend not to put cereal in the bottle.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

You said you work 3 days a week and supply in not a problem. I would try to pump after nursing or in between when you're home and just freeze extra milk so it will gove you and your boyfried peace of mind.
    Do not mess with your supply, it's tricky
    Good luck to you!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work