Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast pain in empty breasts

Unhappy breast pain in empty breasts

I have a 12 week old baby boy and from the start we've had some difficulties. We've been to see a lactation consultant and were told we are doing everything right. I do have a problem with my milk supply (it's always really low) despite pumping as offten as I can.

I'm wonding if the pain I feel in my breasts is normal or has anything to do with my low supply. It's a thobbing pain that seems to get worse the emptier my breasts are. When they are full I don't really have it and it will start as soon as I feed or pump. It is not in one area or just one breast. Every time it's in a different place. There are no lumps, hard spots, swelling, rednees, or tenderness just the throbbing pain. My nipples are fine too. Any idea what this is and how I can fix it?

Default Re: breast pain in empty breasts

I started pumping from the beginning after my son was born and bottle fed breastmilk up until a week ago. My breasts are now more tender while breastfeeding then they were while pumpng and then feeding. One thing that I was told was to put hot cloths onto my breasts to help ease any achyness or discomfort. I also found that using nipple ointment helped to soothe the discomfort that I get from breastfeeding. Not sure if this will help, but I've found that it eases the pain and that the ointment just offers that extra relief to protect my nipples against chapping and relieves the overall discomfor that I've felt.