Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in his spit up?

Default Blood in his spit up?

I was nursing my son a little bit ago on my right side. It hurt right when he latched on, but I had him relatch and then everything was fine. He continued to nurse for about seven or eight minutes. Then he got done with my right side and I was switching him to my left side and I noticed that blood was coming out of my nipple. OUCH!!! I checked in his mouth and didn't notice anything, so I continued to let him nurse on my left side. After he was done, he spit up and it had blood in it. He then continued to spit up several more times after that and there was blood in that too. I have a call into the pediatrician's after hours line, but I know that I will get a lot of great advice on here too. My main concerns are:

1.) Is the blood that he ingested harmful to him?

2.) Why did he spit up so much right after he got done eating? Is that his body's way of getting rid of the blood or was it just a coincidence?

3.) Should I only let him nurse on the left side until the right side heals?

4.) How can I get the right side to heal quickly? I put some lanolin on my nipple right after it happened, but is there anything else that I should do?

5.) Until the right side heals, should I continue to pump on that side to maintain my supply or should I just leave it alone so it can heal without being messed with?

Sorry for all of the questions...I am just super freaked out and in pain right now!

Default Re: Blood in his spit up?

I don't know the answers to all of your questions but I do know the blood will not harm him, and that it doesn't take much blood in spit-up to make it look alarmingly red. I'm sure other moms who have experienced this will help you figure out how to stop the bleeding and heal. GL

ETA: I've heard that rubbing breastmilk on the nipple and letting it air-dry works wonders!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

No. It only takes a tiny amount of blood to tint your milk and make your child's spit-up look awful.

2.) Why did he spit up so much right after he got done eating? Is that his body's way of getting rid of the blood or was it just a coincidence?
    It's probably a coincidence.

In the absence of extreme pain or cracks, blood in your milk usually comes from a burst blood vessel. These vessels are tiny and fragile, and overaggressive suckling or pumping can break them fairly easily. However, the vessels are also resilient, and usually heal by the next time you need to nurse/pump. So continue to nurse on both sides if you can possibly bear it.

4.) How can I get the right side to heal quickly? I put some lanolin on my nipple right after it happened, but is there anything else that I should do?
    The lanolin will probably be more than enough. But if you realize that the blood is coming from a burst blister or small crack, you can also use a pea-sized amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with Bacitracin antibiotic ointment in order to reduce pain, inflammation, and risk of infection. My LC said I didn't have to wash it off before nursing, but I always did.

5.) Until the right side heals, should I continue to pump on that side to maintain my supply or should I just leave it alone so it can heal without being messed with?
    If you want to maintain your milk supply and avoid engorgement or plugged ducts, you're going to need to empty the affected breast. Nursing is the most effective way to go about emptying the breast, so if you can stand to nurse, do it. Starting feedings on the unaffected breast may help, as babies usually suck most aggressively at the beginning of a feed. If you can't stand to nurse, pumping will also work to maintain supply. Try starting your pump on the lowest setting and gradually turning it up to decrease the likelihood of pain or further bleeding. If you get blood in your pumped milk, there is no need to discard it. You can feed it to your baby as is, or leave it in the fridge for a while. The blood will settle to the bottom of the bottle, and you can pour off the clean milk on top.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for both of your responses! I'm so happy to know that only a little bit of blood will make his spit up look like that. I was sitting here wondering how much blood he could have possibly ingested to make it look as horrible as it did, so I can finally breathe now...ha ha! Thank you again for responding!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    I was nursing my son a little bit ago on my right side. It hurt right when he latched on, but I had him relatch and then everything was fine. He continued to nurse for about seven or eight minutes. Then he got done with my right side and I was switching him to my left side and I noticed that blood was coming out of my nipple. OUCH!!! I checked in his mouth and didn't notice anything, so I continued to let him nurse on my left side. After he was done, he spit up and it had blood in it. He then continued to spit up several more times after that and there was blood in that too. I have a call into the pediatrician's after hours line, but I know that I will get a lot of great advice on here too. My main concerns are:

Sorry for all of the questions...I am just super freaked out and in pain right now!

Sorry you all experienced this... Swallowing blood from damaged nipples will not harm the baby although it might be very upsetting. How old is your son? Is he getting plenty of wet and poopie diapers throughout the day?

Many moms in your situation will keep nursing on the affected side. If it's too painful, then definitely express to keep up your supply and avoid plugged ducts. Cold compresses in between nursings will also help alleviate pain some. Baby may have spit up just because babies spit up... not necessarily because of the blood, though I'm sure it was alarming to see.

If this is the first time this is happening, especially if it doesn't seem to heal, you may want to discuss with your doctor or experienced LC. To help with the healing, you may want to use some Lanolin in between nursings after air drying the nipple/areola.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I had this several times. My nipples were severely cracked and did not heal completely until my son was 11 weeks old. I noticed streaks of blood in his spit-up several times. When the nipple was too painful, I pumped and fed him the bottle. Sometimes the bottle was pink! But as soon as I could, I got him back on the breast. My only advice is USE LOTS OF LANOLIN! That was the only thing that seemed to help.
    Amy
    Mom to Lewis John 6-26-08, Irene Grace 3-22-10, and Malcolm Thomas 2-6-12

My DD did the same thing over Christmas and I just about stroked!! I've had cracked nipples from the beginning that are just now healing completely up, and DD had managed to draw a tiny bit of blood from my right side. She spit up A TON afterwards and it was all pink!! I freaked, but she was all smiles all day, so I resigned myself to the fact that it was simply my blood she was getting out of her system.

If you notice a bleedy nipple, don't worry, it's probably just your blood in baby's spit up...if not, call your doc!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!