Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Forced to quit cold turkey

Unhappy Forced to quit cold turkey

A few weeks ago I herniated a disc in my back. It was so painful I couldn't even walk let alone take care of my 3 children under the age of 5. I tried a chiropracter but it only got worse. I couldn't sleep or walk. So I went to an MD who prescribed muscle relaxers and pain killers. I had to quit breast feeding at 10 months cold turkey. It has been 4 days and I am painfully engorged. What can I do to relieve the pain. I don't have a breast pump.

Default Re: Forced to quit cold turkey

Sorry about your back!

Did you have to quit because of the pain? Most pain meds are ok while BF.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Are you 100% sure the medication you prescribed cannot be taken while breastfeeding? What medication are you on?

You could hand express in the warm shower just enough to relieve the discomfort, or you could try to get a hold of a pump (rent or buy) and continue to pump and keep your supply up until you no longer need the medication

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Sorry about your back!

Did you have to quit because of the pain? Most pain meds are ok while BF.
    I did quit because I couldn't take the constant pain anymore. I am on hydrocodone (sp?) 600mg of ibruprofren and a muscle relaxer called Skelaxin. My MD said that the muscle relaxer was the reason I would have to quit. There are no studies done on the effects of muscle relaxers and it does pass through breast milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*snippy0323 View Post
    I did quit because I couldn't take the constant pain anymore. I am on hydrocodone (sp?) 600mg of ibruprofren and a muscle relaxer called Skelaxin. My MD said that the muscle relaxer was the reason I would have to quit. There are no studies done on the effects of muscle relaxers and it does pass through breast milk.
    Sorry about your pain mama...that sucks!

Unfortunately most dr.'s will say that, but there have been extensive studies on tons and tons of meds. Maybe someone on here has the hale book and they could look that one up for you, or I am sure there has to be alternatives for that one.

Do you want to keep BF'ing if you can get the pain under control?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

and I did just find this about a Dr. Hale recommendation on that drug.

He reccommended skelaxin over flexeril as safer for bf, although there aren't really any clear studies on either and he seemed to think flexeril was probably OK too. I went for skelaxin though.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

if you would like to continue to breastfeed I'm sure there are muscle relaxers you can take while breastfeeding. If you don't want to continue to breastfeed, I would suggest hand expressing some milk to relieve the discomfort. Here is a link that explains hand expression. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

and here is some info from Dr. Sears on taking medications while breastfeeding

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t028500.asp
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Baclofen (muscle relaxant) with the trade name "Lioresal or "Atrofen" is approved for breastfeeding mothers by the AAP. It is given a level 2 (level 1 being safest, level 2 being "safer", level 3 "moderately safe", level 4 "possibly hazardous" and level 5 being contraindicated)

Here's the link to the list of safe and approved medications. http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

I am sorry about your back pain. Have the medications helped relieve any of your constant discomfort?

Have you been able to hand express or to pump to get your engorgement under control? I would suggest contacting your local LLL Leader to discuss the medication issue if you want to continue to nurse your 10 month old. It sounds as though you were not anticipating weaning abruptly at this age. How is your little one doing without nursing?

Hang in there.
    Alene
    LLL Leader