Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DH wants to start solids...

Default DH wants to start solids...

My DD and DS started solids around 6, 6 1/2 months. My DH wants to start solids on my 3rd DS who is 5 1/2 months old, but I don't want to. First off both of my other two had a huge slow down in growth as soon as they started solids, and my 3rd ds is small. Second My second DS, Joshua, has food intolerances, nasel allergies, a dairy allergy and can't digest complex carbs or lactose, I know there could be a chance that my 3rd DS, James, has the same thing, and I know if we wait he might be able to avoid the allergies, and all the scarey problems we went through with Joshua..and I want too beef James up on BM some! Plus James has green mucusy poos with an allergy ring, so I think he is allergic to some of the things Joshua is-although James isn't fussy.
    DH's arguement is that he thinks James needs more food since he is getting bigger, but James is very content on nursing every 2 1/2 too 3 hours on demand, and sleeping 8 too 10 hour stretches at night, so I don't think he needs more food...
    My personal problem is that I'm just not ready to start him on solids and say buy buy to those sweet BFed baby poos and the start of him growing up too fast... But I don't want my own emotional state to dictate what is best for my baby. I want to do what he needs.
    So, what would you do??? Wait? how long? Or listen to DH and just try cereal?

Default Re: DH wants to start solids...

Does your DS show any readiness cues? Has he lost his toungue-thrust reflex? Does he seem interested or try to grab at your food? Does he sit up? Breastmilk Is the best for fattening up a babe. Solid foods should wait until they are totally ready; especially cereal which fills up a tummy, but has very little nutritive value for a little one.

I don't know if he has lost the tounge thrust reflex yet, he only sits up if I support him, and he really could care less when I eat. He normally sits on my lap when I eat and just smile, coos and sucks his thumb! I really don't think he could care less if he tries solids, when he is hungrey he only looks for one think-me! He does like to put things in his mouth, but he is chewing and sucking on those toys.
    Last edited by lisaha; January 19th, 2006 at 04:13 PM.

I have a lot of people trying to push me into starting solids with my little girl as well. She will be 5 months 2/1. We have tried a few times and she is ok with it, but I don't see a reason to. Her pediatrician especially is saying that she shouldn't be eating every 2 hrs that she should be on at least a 3-4 hr schedule, but she is eating when she is hungry??? Is it ok for us to continue doing what we are doing?

Wink Re: DH wants to start solids...

I always direct people to this website when they want to start solids early: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Amanda

Keep breastfeeding on demand and tell people who want you to force your baby onto a schedule to try eating only when someone else says they can!

My 11 month old still nurses every 2 hours all day and night!

Exclamation Re: DH wants to start solids...

I'm in the same boat! Not only does my husband want to start our 3-mo-old girl on solids, but so do his parents, my parents, other mothers, complete strangers..........!!!! Our baby is happy, healthy, and growing. I love the conveinience and the bonding breastfeeding allows and i'm not ready for her to have anything else. How do i deal with the pressure??

What would I do? LOL! I'm not sure I should answer that question. But okay, I will. I put a LOT of confidence into my mothering instincts. I have the instinct - my husband, while a fantastic father does not have the same instincts I do. So, I follow my instincts, usually follow the most liberal of recommendations (in this case, AAP says exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months!) and look to my baby to see what I think about any given situation. Is my baby doing okay? Is she thriving? Does it all "work" for me?

As for it being "okay" to babies to continue to nurse every 2 hours, no matter what their age? Look at your baby, not the clock (or scale).

Trust your instincts and your bodies, ladies! You're doing a fantastic job. Don't let anyone make you think different

I also respond that the American Pediatric Association reccomends that breastmilk be the only food for the first 6 months of life. I also say that if a baby is exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months of life that their flora in their intestines is naturally formed to help prevent colds and flus as well as reduce their chances of having allergies. I usually counter with the fact that just because people started solids earlier in the past doesn't mean that it was wrong(to try not to offend the inlaws) that they were going with what was thought to be best at the time. I then usually add that what is thought to be best now, according to all of the leading authorities, is exclusive breastfeeding until a minimum of 6 months of age. I had lots of pressure from inlaws etc. but I really waited until 6 months knowing that was what was best for my babe. I am really glad that I waited until I did becuase after we started solids his weight gain slowed and we have struggled to keep it up ever since.