Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using cow's milk for 11m/o once a day???

Question Using cow's milk for 11m/o once a day???

I exclusively BF and work 40 hrs a week. I only have to pump once (THANK GOD) because I can go to my baby girl the other times. She is now 11 m/o and I would like to stop pumping at work. Formula is NOT HAPPENING! Is it entirely terrible to give her 4 oz of whole cow's milk for this ONE a day time I'm away from her?

Default Re: Using cow's milk for 11m/o once a day???

The reason they don't recommend cow's milk before one year is because the baby cannot process the protein found in cow's milk, as well as other things.

I posted a bunch of info in a thread before...let me see if I can find it.

ETA: here it is....http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=65005
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; January 26th, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Yep. I wouldn't do it. Just wait the 4 weeks or so until her B-day and then you can begin to introduce cow's milk. Or not. I Started leaving my baby @14months and he wanted nothing to do with Cow's milk. I didn't force him to drink it and never pumped. So I just sent him with a sippy full of water to compliment his meals. Which he was eating. So I'd wait on the cows milk. It's just a few more weeks! Congratulations on being so devoted for so long. Pumping is total dedication!

Way too lazy for formula

I guess i would just tough it out pumping for a few more weeks but i also dont think that starting cows milk now as opposed to 3-4 weeks from now is going to make a huge difference in terms of your baby's health. There is nothing magical that happens on baby's first bday that allows them to suddenly tolerate cows milk that they would not have tolerated the previous day when they were not quite 1!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mairismum View Post
    I guess i would just tough it out pumping for a few more weeks but i also dont think that starting cows milk now as opposed to 3-4 weeks from now is going to make a huge difference in terms of your baby's health. There is nothing magical that happens on baby's first bday that allows them to suddenly tolerate cows milk that they would not have tolerated the previous day when they were not quite 1!
    I agree that something doesn't magically happen. But I also think that waiting a year to wait is to land on the safe side of things. So in the same way that I wouldn't feed my baby solids before the 6months point, I wouldn't give my baby milk before the year point. Using those things more as a minimum guide. Knowing what I know about milk and how hard it is to digest, I would try to gradually introduce it AFTER the year point. Not expect a child to be drinking a cup a day on their 1st b-day.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Yep. I wouldn't do it. Just wait the 4 weeks or so until her B-day and then you can begin to introduce cow's milk. Or not. I Started leaving my baby @14months and he wanted nothing to do with Cow's milk. I didn't force him to drink it and never pumped. So I just sent him with a sippy full of water to compliment his meals. Which he was eating. So I'd wait on the cows milk. It's just a few more weeks! Congratulations on being so devoted for so long. Pumping is total dedication!
    Well it looks like sippy with water then...I just pumped today (and as it's been for a week) only got 3 oz. Guess I'm stressed? It's tough to pump for 15-20 and only get that much. HURTS LOL! Thanksfully it's the only time I have to pump and at 11 m/o I'm not buying a new pump just to up production.

She nurses at least 7 times a day still (NO SLEEP LOL) so she's getting enough milk I'm sure...and loves the solids.

Your milk is living cells for your living baby needed those living cells of nurients to grow. the next bext thing is donated breastmilk. Then, goats milk from, of course, a local goat's farm that is legitament. Then, almond or rice milk with this Barley max put into it. then, formula. But, cow's milk has so many wrong things with it compared to all the other great options. I hope that helps, because goat's milk is so close to breast milk for all the nutrients. I also, just recently found several mother's who had to use goats milk for their twins or a single child. Pretty cool that this is possible. May God bless you in Jesus's name.