Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping with Irregular work schedule?

Default Pumping with Irregular work schedule?

I work away from the little guy 2 days a week for 8-hour days. When we're together he nurses pretty much on demand which ends up being 2-3 times during the time he would be with the sitter or his dad. When he's with them he is not so interested in bottles of BM. I'm still pumping while at work (2x usually) to stay comfortable, but he's not eating that much. How do I balance out lots of nursing when we're together and less bottle when we're apart? Until about 11 months he didn't really do solids so this is new territory for us (little guy is 13 months now).
    Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping with Irregular work schedule?

You could probably begin to "pump wean" - gradually reducing the amount of time and number of sessions you pump when you're at work, and then stop pumping all together.

And then continue to nurse when you're together.

I stopped pumping when DS was about 16 mo. He really wasn't taking more than an oz or two EBM and for me pumping was feeling pretty futile.

Seems odd - but your body really does adjust!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I am worried about pump weaning since it will be such a big difference between days together and days apart. Will my body be able to handle it?

I was concerned about this as well, but my body seems to have done a good job figuring out varying demand for breastmilk.

My experience - right after I pump weaned and then was nursing all weekend I'd feel a little "full" on Mondays at work and would need to hand express a little for comfort. That went away after a couple of weeks, and now there seems to be plenty of milk whenever DS wants to nurse. On weekends and days together we nurse more often (such as right before and after naps). He's 2.5 years old.

When I was in the process of pump weaning - I had in the back of my mind that if I had supply problems I could always go back to pumping more and build my supply back up. Fortunately, I never needed to, but for me it was reassuring to have that option in mind.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)