Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you nurse per day?

Default How many times do you nurse per day?

I am just curious how many times most of you nurse and/or pump a day.
    Right now I am at 6 times. During the week its 2 nursing and 4 pumping a day. I am wondering what most everyone does and how their supply is. I am thinking that I need to increase it to 7x to maintain a better supply. I think I read somewhere that it is nearly impossible to maintain a good supply only nursing 6x/day. Hmm... just curious. Thanks

Default Re: How many times do you nurse per day?

We nurse about 7ish times a day most of the time. I pump at work, but only once. My supply seems great. I think you could probably have a good supply with only nursing 6 times a day. Have you tried oatmeal?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

we're still nursing at least 10 times per day, most days it's closer to 14 . . . so I guess an average of 12 times per day. No supply problems here
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

DS is older so we nurse 3-5 x per day and we weaned from pumping. However you are correct, in the early months when LO is mostly dependent on BM you need to empty your breasts via nursing or pumping 8-12x per day to maintain supply.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I still nurse Caleb 8-10 times each day. My supply is great!
    ~Sarah

Married to the love of my life, Jordan

SAHM to Caleb (4/14/08) nursed for 19 months.
    Phoebe Grace (4/20/10), and 20 mths and counting!
    with #3, due May 2012

I'm not sure the correlation exists for everyone. My 8 week old eats only 6 times a day and my supply is through the roof. I feed him 4 times and pump twice at work and when I pump for 15 minutes, I get about 6 ounces from each side. If that's all your LO needs, then your body will keep up with that. But I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up another feeding or two (or three or four or five...) as time goes on. That's the way my older son was...
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

I'm guessing around 8 - 10 a day. Sometimes she goes every 3 hours, then she sneaks in some 2 hour ones, sometimes she drags out a feeding so it should really qualify as 2.....

She's almost 4 months and growing like a bad weed. The lack of a schedule is our schedule.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

oops, double post
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I'd say about 8x/day at 6 months...I think. Usually up and down for each of the 3 naps and at least 1x/night and usually pump 1x/day.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

DD's one in a couple days AHHH
    We are nursing about...6-9 times a day.