Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby weight gain concerns

Default baby weight gain concerns

I just took the baby for his 4 month old check up and he had barely gained any weight in the past month(had gone to the doctors for him being sick in december). He had a touch of the stomach bug for about five days prior to going to the doctors, could that have decreased his weight? He was in the 25-50% for weight gain, but I am worried because he gained so little 9 ounces in four weeks.

Default Re: baby weight gain concerns

A stomach bug could definitely account for the lack of weight gain. Also, it's normal for growth to vary from month to month- some months your baby will put all his calories into height, other months he'll grow in weight, and when he gets mobile, he'll probably start putting a large proportion of his calories into motion. Growth isn't always a smooth curve like the ones on the charts.

So long as you are feeding on demand and your baby is making enough wet and dirty diapers, I don't think there's much cause for worry.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you soo much. He did grow quite a bit in length. He is 26 inches long, born at 21 inches long.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magoo1996 View Post
    I just took the baby for his 4 month old check up and he had barely gained any weight in the past month(had gone to the doctors for him being sick in december). He had a touch of the stomach bug for about five days prior to going to the doctors, could that have decreased his weight? He was in the 25-50% for weight gain, but I am worried because he gained so little 9 ounces in four weeks.

Hi, there.

So sorry to hear your baby's been sick. It's definitely that time of year. How great that you're breastfeeding and able to pass on the perfect antibodies to help him get better sooner!

Being sick may have been the reason for his poor weight gain.... What did your ped say? Generally, a baby should gain about 5-6 ounces per week (1 lb per month), so 9 ounces in 4 weeks sounds like this may be something to discuss with your doctor. Until then, you may want to be mindful of his wet and poopie diaper counts.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Hi!

When I took my DD for 4-month check-up I found out that she gained 13oz in 6 weeks. I was upset/worried/you name it. But my ped was ok, he said as long as she's gaining and her wet/dirty diper count is ok, then no need to worry. I post a thread then on this forum (of course, I can't live without it) and ladies told me if my ped is not worried I shouldn't. My DD was born 7lb11oz, 20inch, she was 25 at 4, just like yours she also grew. So by hight (or should I say length:-) she was 50-75%, but by weight only 10-20%. But its ok. Now she's 5, I don't know yet how much she gained, but she develops just fine, meeting her milestones, eats well, acts very happy and I can see she grew.
    So don't worry, you're doing great. Plus your LO was sick (sorry ), that usually doesn't help much either. Like my ped sais, wait untill they start solids, then they gain weight quickly (not there yet, but already started supplementing with formula last week, I'm losing my supply and it makes me extremely sad).
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I have this exact issue. DD was in the 48th percentile at birth and is now in the 25th at 4 months.. The ped is not concerned at all. DD continues to grow an inch a month in length and head circumference is fine. My baby isn't an avid nurser, so I worry sometimes, but in this case i'm trusting the ped.
    for 1 year so far! Woot!