Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Norethisterone

Default Norethisterone

I am currently trying to relactate. It has been about 3-4 weeks since I last fed my son/pumped and I am getting just drops. I am now on day 3 of pumping and if anything the number of drops I am getting is getting less not more. I am also taking norethisterone to help with the constant bleeding I've had since my son was born (13 weeks ago). I know that norethisterone in the mini-pill is supposed to be ok, but that is only 0.35mg per day whereas I've been taking 15mg per day. I'm now reducing to 10mg per day for a week and then 5mg per day for a week. Does anyone know if high dose progesterones will inhibit milk production. If so, I'm probably wasting my time and I'll have to wait until I've finished the tablets before starting again

Default Re: Norethisterone

I moved your post to Relactation and Induced Lactation to see if you can get some answers from this Forum.

My suggestion would be to contact your local LLL Leader for the medication information you are seeking. Are you able to nurse your baby?
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Norethisterone

From what I've read, it does sound like progesterone could be a factor in inhibiting milk production. But I agree with Alene, if you contact a local Leader, she probably would be able to get you some more detailed information about the specific medication you're taking.

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; February 9th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--