Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing often enough?

Default nursing often enough?

Hi - I've read that infants should be nursing 8-12x/day. My 9 wk old only nurses about 7x/day now. Is that okay??? I try feeding her more often, but she won't take. She nurses about every 2.5 - 3 hrs and then 10:00pm is her last feeding before bedtime. Then she only eats once more at 4am, but I'm pretty sure she would sleep through the night if I didn't wake her up the at the slightest stir at 4am to feed. If she skips the 4 am feeding, she'll only eat 6x/day. That seems to little at this age, no? By the way, each nursing session is about 10-15 min on one breast. Diaper output is about 5 wets/1 dirty.

Also, any suggestions to clear up her congestion? Poor thing is SSOOOO stufffed up. I tried nursing her in the steamed bathroom last night, but I'm not sure it was much help. Is there any kind of cold medicine she could take to reduce congestion?
    Last edited by @llli*mommylim; January 25th, 2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Default Re: nursing often enough?

Hey mama!!

About the nursings.... *I* would say, as long as she is putting out enough wet and dirty diapes, she should be fine. My baby was like that too. She only got up once at night to feed. And she nursed every 2 1/2 - 3 hours during the day. I wouldn't force it though.

And the congestion.... my baby just had this too. I used the steamy bathroom too. You can elevate her mattress in her crib (I did that) Helped mine breathe when sleeping. Used a humidifier in her room. And made saline drops to put in her nose. I think it's one teaspoon salt/2 cups water...but you might wanna check. I also heard you can make the drops with breastmilk too!

Good luck Mama!!!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

As long as your baby is gaining weight fine, has good diaper output, and seems happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Those numbers are just guidelines, really, and some babies will eat smaller, more frequent meals while others will eat more at once and go longer between. Nurse when she asks for it, and she'll be just fine. And enjoy the sleep at night!

For congestion, you can squirt some breast milk in her nose. That helps clear it up great. Also, do you have a humidifier you can run?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Yeah, I had this same problem about 2 weeks ago (and I guess I still do...). DS is 7 weeks old and he sleeps way too well (I know, what a curse, right?!) Anyway, he goes to bed around 10pm, wakes up between 5 and 6, and then eats about every 3-4 hours. So, that means that he eats between 5 and 6 times a day. However, he has enough wet and dirty diapers, he is happy and growing, so I don't worry about it.

Also, DS has reflux, and from what I understand, it can cause babies to want to eat less because they associate feedings with belly/reflux pain. Does you babby have any signs of reflux like spitting up between feedings (sometimes clear, fowl smelling), arching back while feeding, tilting head to one side (this kinks off the esophagus so the acid doesn't come up and bother them), not wanting to be held, etc?
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08