Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about waning milk supply - help!

Default Worried about waning milk supply - help!

I am two weeks in to being back at work full time and I am worried that my milk supply is waning....

I feed my 3 mo old around 6:15 am before we head off to work/daycare, then try to pump at work at 9:30, 12:30 and 3:30 before heading home for the day.... sometimes that last one doesn't happen, depending on the day and how crazy it is.

I wasn't worried about it at first because I was getting the most in the morning anyway. But now I'm noticing that I'm getting less and less at each pumping session, even in the morning.

Any suggestions for keeping it flowing? I have tried to leave the pump running for a few minutes even if I'm not producing anymore to see if it would stimulate more the next time, but so far I'm not seeing any improvement.

I should probably note that I also have a cold (as does my daughter - gotta love daycare!) so I'm desperately trying to stay hydrated, so some dehydration may be contributing as well.

I welcome any advice you ladies can give.

Thanks!
    Karen

Default Re: Worried about waning milk supply - help!

How long are you pumping for each session? How much are you getting at each session? I would continue to push the water and make sure you get in all of your pumping sessions. It is the frequency not the length that maintains supply! Also, keep pumping for a few minutes after you are "done" because that will tell your body you need to make more. In addition, there are some supplements you can take to help boost your supply. Let me know how it goes!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

How long are you pumping for each session? How much are you getting at each session? I would continue to push the water and make sure you get in all of your pumping sessions. It is the frequency not the length that maintains supply! Also, keep pumping for a few minutes after you are "done" because that will tell your body you need to make more. In addition, there are some supplements you can take to help boost your supply. Let me know how it goes!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Having a cold can cause a dip in your supply. I would keep up what you are doing and see how it goes when you finish your cold.

Trying a warm compress maybe could help encourage another letdown.

Also, I would try eating oatmeal everyday before you try any supplements. This works great for lots of mommas around here including yours truly.

No need to panic just yet.

Way to go for giving your baby the best start in life!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My pumping output always goes down when I'm sick. with pps - have lots of fluid, try to rest, and keep pumping (if you can, pump 5 minutes after the milk stops flowing). You could also add some fenugreek (that did wonders for me!) or Mother's Milk tea as well, just to help your supply along. Mostly, though, I wouldn't stress, because stress lowers supply too (aargh!!). When you're healthy again, your supply will most likely pick back up; with me, as soon as my energy is back my pumping is back, too.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear that you're sick! I hope that you get better soon. Hopefully, once you feel better, your supply will go back up!

This is my fourth full week back at work. During the first week of work, I noticed a decrease in my supply everyday also. I pump twice a day and from the Monday I had pumped a total of 18 oz and by Friday I only had 13 oz... And I need at least 16 oz to send to daycare the next day! I was pretty stressed out and upset with the decrease... but this is what I did to get my supply up the next week...

1) Set a routine and try to relax. Pumping in a new environment effects me, so I have plenty of cute pictures of my little one on my blackberry that I will look at while pumping wherever I may end up!
    2) After the first morning feeding, I pump to totally drain the breasts before going to work. I would pump the full 20 minutes if I could... (I also pump right before I go to sleep.)
    3) During my 10 am and 2 pm pump sessions, I try to pump a full 20 minutes... I will pump later or earlier depending on my work schedule, but I've noticed that when I drain my breasts all the way, it tells my body to start making milk!
    4) Stay hydrated... which is one of my challenges as a working mom... I barely have time to go to the bathroom.... who has time to visit the water cooler!

During my second week back at work, on Monday, my total output for my two work pumps was 13.5, and by Friday it was up to 17... which is now my norm...

I don't know if all other working moms are the same, but I obsess over my milk production...

Take care and good luck!
    Jessie
    Mom to Antonio born 9/10/2008
    at work and at home

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessie View Post
    I don't know if all other working moms are the same, but I obsess over my milk production...
    We all obsess, I think.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks all for the support. I think the dehydrating cold and stress was compounding the problem -- I'm much better emotionally and mentally now that the cold is gone, which helps.

To answer some of your questions, I can pump 10-15 minutes at a time... I try to do 15+ in the AM, because that's when I'm fullest. In the afternoon, typically I'm "done" after 10, but I try to pump as long as I can before my next meeting.

And I agree about keeping to a regular schedule, so I'm trying to make that last pumping of the day a priority and not skip it.

I also tried the mother's milk tea yesterday... not sure it will help, but I figured it was worth a try! In the meantime, we're supplementing with a little formula and/or my frozen stash. Luckily, my girl is not a picky eater.

I appreciate the responses!
    Karen