Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rash around nipples??

Default Rash around nipples??

Aloha mamas;

Weʻve had one problem then another! I have a 9 week old girl Iʻm trying so hard to breastfeed when yesterday I noticed a red rash that looks just like a diaper rash around my nipples, on the areola. It doesnʻt hurt or itch, but looks terrible. What can I put on it to stop it? Today itʻs already spreading around the area more. I wear nipple shields at night to keep my sore nipples protected- could they rub and cause a rash?

I have awful flat nipples that my little girl clamps down on, so the nipple pain I always have experienced is from poor positioning, so Iʻm told. There is only one LC on the island I live on, and sheʻs not very helpful. These forums are my only source! Iʻve never had any thrush symptoms in me or baby, and the pain has been there since day 1. We canʻt seem to get a good latch because she clamps down so hard my nipples blach white and get little clear blisters all the time. Iʻve accepted this will go away when her mouth grows bigger, but I really need help if anybody knows how!

Sorry so long and scattered.....thank you!

Default Re: Rash around nipples??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anakela View Post
    Aloha mamas;

Weʻve had one problem then another! I have a 9 week old girl Iʻm trying so hard to breastfeed when yesterday I noticed a red rash that looks just like a diaper rash around my nipples, on the areola. ...

...the pain has been there since day 1. We canʻt seem to get a good latch because she clamps down so hard my nipples blach white and get little clear blisters all the time. Iʻve accepted this will go away when her mouth grows bigger, but I really need help if anybody knows how!

It sounds like you may have since you mention the rash and pain. Thrush can be hard to "calm." You may not have completely gotten rid of the thrush, too. After starting a treatment for thrush and the pain does not go away, it might be something else. Have you tried any treatment for thrush? Were you given any antibiotics at the birth?

Keep at it though... there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

How many wet/poopie diapers is your baby having? Is she generally in a good mood?

In most situations with yeast infections, treatment for thrush takes at least 2 weeks to treat. Or, the yeast is passed back and forth between family members and so may prolong the infection. So, frequently washing hands well is one great way to prevent the sharing.

Many moms find that if they rinse their nipples off with water after after each nursing session and let them air dry, it helps. Cool, dry, "regular" air works best, instead of using, say, a blow dryer with warm air. Change your breast pads frequently (if you wear them), too. Changing and washing your bras in hot water or letting them air dry in the sun helps control/prevent thrush. Since we have the bacteria in our bodies already, the difficult thing is keeping it under control and not "get active." Acidophilus is great at keeping the "good" bacteria in our bodies, too. Many doctors can prescribe some Nystatin, but as mentioned, Nystatin sometimes doesn't work or has some preservatives that may cause some dermatitis in some moms. It may take some trial and error.

Vinegar solutions tend to work wonders in helping balance things out with mom. Many mothers use the vinegar washing on their nipples after each nursing session and letting them air dry.

Sometimes, changing a mother's diet can be helpful... Some try to lower their sugar intake and others try lowering their dairy and carbohydrate intake, as well.

Concerning your "blanched nipples," you mention your nipple turning white after feedings? Is there also a shooting or burning pain? Does your nipple look like the top of a new lipstick? If so, the most common cause is baby isn't latching on well and is compressing the tip of the nipple against the roof of his mouth, causing the blood flow to be cut off to the nipple. Often, it looks like the nipple is a strange shape... like the top of a new lipstick. When the blood begins to flow again, this is where the pain begins. Thrush may be felt before, during & after a nursing, along with itching, redness, etc. Does this sound like what you're feeling?

Some things to do if you have vasospasms would be...using a warm compress or (if skin is not broken) a hair dryer set on warm on the nipple (not hot... careful not to burn!) may help you feel better. There are prx meds your doc/health professional can suggest, too. Maybe get a 2nd, 3rd opinion from an experienced LC or other medical professional? I know you mentioned there weren't any around, but hopefully another doc will have some breastfeeding knowledge??

Another key thing is to keep the nipple area warm after a feeding and helping start your let-down with some gentle massage before a nursing, as will hand expressing or pumping on a low setting if you should miss a feeding. This will help protect your supply.

Any chance you're pregnant? Is your bra too tight? Have you been using a new nipple cream, deodorant, lotion, etc.? Does the nipple shield you wear at night rub/irritate your areola, too? Are you using anything on your areola and then using the nipple shields?

You can overcome this obstacle and have a great nursing relationship with your baby. Hang in there!!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Rash around nipples??

could just be some sort of skin thing....
    Did you have iv during labor?
    sometimes the meds give moms hives.

Wink Re: Rash around nipples??

Thank you for the reply, itʻs very helpful. I had a water homebirth to avoid medications, so I had none. Baby is doing great- very happy most the time, about 5 poops and 8 or so pees a day. When I can get her on a good deep latch, the pain is gone completely, so I donʻt think itʻs thrush. My little girl is a spaz at the boob, very excited and hard to calm, so she doesnʻt open her mouth wide and hold it still for more than a second. I think we have latch problems because Iʻm not fast enough to put the nipple in right! That and my super flat nipples, which donʻt seem to fit her little mouth. I wish I had access to another LC, but Iʻm going to a doctor later this week to rule out thrush.