Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Burning nipples-need help

Default Burning nipples-need help

My baby is one month old and I have had pain since the very beginning. I've been in to see a lactation consultant twice and we decided it was thrush.

I pumped for two weeks straight and decided to nurse for the past week. I felt like the thrush was going away, but still had severe pain in my nipples. Now it seems to be getting worse again.

I'm not sure if it is thrush now. It seems to be only the nipple and burns to the touch and when I nurse. Although the initial latch is extremely painful sometimes the pain does subside a bit during feeding. Sometimes not. I notice that there are darker areas on the nipple and am wondering if maybe my baby isn't latching on properly. I also noticed that when my baby comes off the center of the nipple is white and then turns red again.

I just want to know what normal soreness from a bad latch feels like. Does it burn and sting like thrush does? I have had pain from thrush for so long that I can't really distinguish whether this is thrush or latching issues or even something else. Please help.

Default Re: Burning nipples-need help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmooch View Post
    My baby is one month old and I have had pain since the very beginning. I've been in to see a lactation consultant twice and we decided it was thrush.

I pumped for two weeks straight and decided to nurse for the past week. I felt like the thrush was going away, but still had severe pain in my nipples. Now it seems to be getting worse again.

I'm not sure if it is thrush now. It seems to be only the nipple and burns to the touch and when I nurse. Although the initial latch is extremely painful sometimes the pain does subside a bit during feeding. Sometimes not. I notice that there are darker areas on the nipple and am wondering if maybe my baby isn't latching on properly. I also noticed that when my baby comes off the center of the nipple is white and then turns red again.

I just want to know what normal soreness from a bad latch feels like. Does it burn and sting like thrush does? I have had pain from thrush for so long that I can't really distinguish whether this is thrush or latching issues or even something else. Please help.
    This sounds like nipple blanching to me. Here's some info.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

You will probably find something here that helps!

Hope you get things worked out soon!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmooch View Post

I felt like the thrush was going away, but still had severe pain in my nipples. Now it seems to be getting worse again.

It seems to be only the nipple and burns to the touch and when I nurse. Although the initial latch is extremely painful sometimes the pain does subside a bit during feeding. Sometimes not. I notice that there are darker areas on the nipple .... I also noticed that when my baby comes off the center of the nipple is white and then turns red again.

I just want to know what normal soreness from a bad latch feels like. Does it burn and sting like thrush does?

Hi, there.

So sorry you're feeling pain and burning... What you describe sounds like it hurts! Many mothers have experienced similar things and, with a little bit of detective work, were able to continue their breastfeeding relationship just fine. Hang in there!

How much did your baby weigh at birth and how much does baby weigh now? How many wet and poopie diapers does baby have a day?

How awesome that you've been seeing an LC. Especially since baby's only a month old, I would encourage you to continue seeing an experienced LC and/or LLL Leader until all is resolved.

If, after a few days of treating thrush, mom doesn't feel better, it may not be thrush... Granted, if the symptoms do get better but then return after a few days/weeks, then thrush may be passed from mother/baby or other family members. Thrush is really tough to get under control sometimes.

The good thing to hear from you is that your nipples are returning to their color once baby de-latches. Baby could be clamping down a bit if your supply is still on the "plus" side or your milk ejection (let-down) is too fast/forceful.

Hang in there and let us know what you learn!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Also wanted to add...

When a mom says her nipple turns while after feedings, often, there's also a shooting or burning pain. Is this what you're feeling? If so, there are several possible causes for this...

The most common cause
    is that the baby isn't latching on well and is compressing the tip of the nipple against the roof of his mouth, causing the blood flow to be cut off to the nipple. Often, it looks like the nipple is a strange shape... like the top of a new lipstick. When the blood begins to flow again, this is where the pain begins. Thrush may be felt before, during & after a nursing, along with itching, redness, etc.

Some things to do in this situation would be...using a warm compress or (if skin is not broken) a hair dryer set on warm on the nipple (not hot... careful not to burn!) may help you feel better. There are prx meds your doc/health professional can suggest, too. Maybe get a 2nd, 3rd opinion?

Another key thing is to keep the nipple area warm after a feeding, avoiding the cold & avoiding cigarettes & caffeine. Helping start your let-down with some gentle massage before a nursing can help, as will hand expressing or pumping on a low setting if you should miss a feeding. This will help protect your supply.

Any chance you're pregnant? Is your bra too tight? Have you been using a new nipple cream, deoderant, lotion, etc.? Has a vinegar solution or other thrush treatment been used?

You can overcome this obstacle! Hang in there!! Keep us up to date, too.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader