Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush - Precautions for it to not come back?

Default Thrush - Precautions for it to not come back?

I know there are many thrush posts, but LO is due to be getting up from a nap soon so don't have the time right now to go through them all. And of course all these questions are coming to me now instead of at the Dr's, but for thrush I think you'll have better information anyway!

My LO, 10.5 months, and myself just saw the Dr today for thrush. They prescribed us Nystatin. Kind of upset to have this after 10.5 months of no problems breastfeeding. Anyway, this is my first child and have never dealt with thrush so was wondering what precautions I should take to make sure it goes away and stays away? I was planning to replace all pacifiers and bottle nipples after it's gone away - is that needed?

Also, until it goes away do I need to boil pacifiers and bottle nipples every night?
    What about my pump parts - just use the microwave steam bags every night?
    Wash all my clothes, bras in hot water - anything else?
    The medicine we have is liquid and I pump 3 times while I'm at work. Should I apply the medicine to me after each time I pump (don't really have time to let things air dry)? Should I change my nursing pads more than once a day?
    Anything I can do for my pain until this gets better, specifically when LO is nursing?

Thanks in advance for all of your wisdom!!

Default Re: Thrush - Precautions for it to not come back?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*akm76m View Post
    I know there are many thrush posts, but LO is due to be getting up from a nap soon so don't have the time right now to go through them all. And of course all these questions are coming to me now instead of at the Dr's, but for thrush I think you'll have better information anyway!

My LO, 10.5 months, and myself just saw the Dr today for thrush. They prescribed us Nystatin. Kind of upset to have this after 10.5 months of no problems breastfeeding. Anyway, this is my first child and have never dealt with thrush so was wondering what precautions I should take to make sure it goes away and stays away? I was planning to replace all pacifiers and bottle nipples after it's gone away - is that needed?

Also, until it goes away do I need to boil pacifiers and bottle nipples every night?
    What about my pump parts - just use the microwave steam bags every night?
    Wash all my clothes, bras in hot water - anything else?
    The medicine we have is liquid and I pump 3 times while I'm at work. Should I apply the medicine to me after each time I pump (don't really have time to let things air dry)? Should I change my nursing pads more than once a day?
    Anything I can do for my pain until this gets better, specifically when LO is nursing?

Thanks in advance for all of your wisdom!!
    I used the microsteam bags for our bottle nipples, pacis, and pump parts while being treated for thrush.

You can add a cup of vinegar to your wash to help with the thrush. Make sure that you are only wearing each bra and shirt once before washing and you should definetly change your nursing pads more frequently than once a day.

Here is some info about using ebm while treating thrush.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ssed-milk.html

Here's some other great information.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

Hope you and baby get to feeling better soon.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

To prevent the return of thrush, I plan to continue rinsing my nipples after feedings & 1x/day with vinegar. Some wise woman around here told me that vinegar creates an inhospitable environment for yeast.
    Nursed for 18 months

It sounds like you all are doing all the right things to help fight the thrush... as you already know, yeast can be be agrressive & may take a couple of treatments (& a couple of weeks) to really get things back into balance, especially if there's a chance the yeast's getting passed back & forth in the family.

Since we have the bacteria in our bodies already, the difficult thing is keeping it under control and not "getting active" & then preventing the thrush from being passed from one family member to the other.

You might want to try these few things:

* Wash bras in hot water and allow them to air dry, if possible
    * Change breast pads frequently
    * Air drying (breasts/nipples) after nursing
    * Rinsing after/between nursings with a vinegar and water solution (not straight up)
    * Taking acidophilus, Grapefruit seed extract & B6 vitamins tablets can help keep yeast in balance
    * Watching you sugar intake
    * Washing hands before, during & after diaper changes
    * Washing hands frequently during the day

There are some other ways, but I think these are some good ones to start with. I'd be happy to brainstorm with you, if you'd like.

Just in case, kellymom.com has some pictures of a baby with diaper yeast.

Sometimes Nystatin doesn't clear up thrush/yeast very well with some mothers (a resistence is building up). I believe Jack Newman and other professionals suggest some mothers discuss with their ped if they can use half as much of the Nystatin oral medicine, usually using it four times a day, and apply it to baby's mouth twice as often as originally suggested. The amount of medication used is the same over a 24-hour period, but sometimes can be more effective with the overgrowth of yeast in smaller, more frequent doses. Somemoms even do the same with their dose on themselves.

Thrush is tough, but you can get over this obstacle!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader